I f you’re a smoker yourself, you may already know the inconvenience of smoking outside because you want the indoor air in your home clean. There’s no hiding the fact that second-hand smoking is just as dangerous as first-hand. If you have children, it’s best that you stay away from smoking indoors if you don’t have a purifier that is capable of capturing smoke. It’s important to understand that not all purifiers are efficient enough to get rid of the tobacco smell and smoke. Thus, you should avoid cheap and knock-off models. If you’re interested in a high-quality unit, you should take a look at this informative guide.
- 15. Alen BreatheSmart FIT50
- 14. Austin Air Healthmate Junior
- 13. IQAir 1CC UB0 HGB
- 12. Coway AP-1512HH
- 11. GermGuardian AC4100
- 10. RabbitAir BioGS 2.0
- 9. LEVOIT LV-H132
- 8. Enther Air Purifier AP1C
- 7. VEVA 8000 Elite Pro Series
- 6. LEVOIT LV-PUR131
- 5. GermGuardian AC4825
- 4. Whirlpool Whispure AP51030K
- 3. Honeywell True HEPA HPA300
- 2. Winix 5300
- 1. Honeywell 50250-S
- Top 5 Comparison
- Dangers of Smoke
- Installation & Maintenance
15. Alen BreatheSmart FIT50
One of the main features of this unit is the fact that it cleans up to 900 sq. ft. every 30 minutes. In addition to this, WhisperMax technology will create minimal operational noise. The soothing pink noise tones will ensure better sleep for children and adults. Thus, you will feel comfortable to place it in the bedroom or other living spaces.
Laser Smart Sensor
The product is also known for its intuitive intelligence. The smart sensor will detect particles that are as small as 0.3 microns. Furthermore, the indicator light will let you know about the quality in real-time. Its design particularities are:
- Auto Mode – The speed of the purifier will adjust according to the indoor air quality. If the pollution is high, the speed will be higher
- Timer – The unit can be set from 2, 4, or 12 hours in advance
- Night Mode – Set it with ease in places such as the bedroom as the night light can be turned on or off
The 4 speeds will give you the freedom to adjust the unit according to your specific preferences. Additionally, the manual operation means that you can make the product work according to how you prefer it at all times.
|900 sq. ft.||4||231 CFM||32.4 to 48.7 dB(A)|
HEPA Pure Filter
The filter will be able to remove contaminants such as dander, pollen, and dust. Furthermore, it’s designed with a number of HEPA layers to ensure a broad spectrum of contaminants removal. It has the ability to remove particles such as dust mites, pet hair, pet dander, and mold and to provide fresh air throughout the seasons.
14. Austin Air Healthmate Junior
This purifier is suitable to remove all the contaminants that are around you throughout the day. Therefore, a wide range of particles such as gasses, chemicals, and pollutants will be eliminated so you can breathe with ease. Also, by considering this model, you will see considerable changes in the quality of the air. This industry-leader will not only remove contaminants such as smoke but also bacteria and viruses.
4-stage Purification Stages
This unit works by addressing a broad spectrum of sub-micron particles, harmful gasses, and other chemicals. Thus, it has been designed with 4 stages such as:
- Stage 1 – The Pre-filter will remove large particles that can be visible with the naked eye. This includes dust and human hair
- Stage 2 – The next stage will address the small to medium contaminants such as mold and pollen
- Stage 3 – The 6.5 lbs. Activated Carbon and Zeolite will remove harmful gasses, chemicals, and odors
- Stage 4 – The certified HEPA filter will remove 99.97% of smaller particles that measure more than 0.3 microns
The unique study by the American Academy of Pediatrics has concluded that the unit will reduce the number of unscheduled hospital visits for children that are exposed to second-hand smoking.
|700 sq. ft.||3||200 CFM||49 to 65 dB(A)|
Reduces Snoring, Wheezing, and Sneezing
The purifier will be able to remove pollutants such as pet dander, pollen, mold spores, dust spores, and gasses. Also, it can also eliminate all viruses and bacteria. Therefore, significantly reducing the symptoms of allergies and the potential for asthma attacks. Its particularities are:
- Air Intake – The 360-degree air intake system will ensure that all of the air in the room gets purified
- Dimensions – It measures 15 1/2” x 15 1/2” x 23 1/2” which means that it will take minimal storage space
- Energy-efficient – The unit will draw 80-watts/high, 41-watts/medium, and 25-watts/low
As the model has been independently tested, you can allow it to work during the night or when you’re not at home. Furthermore, as it consumes minimal energy, you can rely on the product to not considerable affect the energy bill.
13. IQAir 1CC UB0 HGB
This is one of the best purifiers for multiple chemical sensitivity and tobacco smoke. Designed with medical-grade air filtration, this is up to 100x more efficient than HEPA filters. Thus, it has a chemical removal power of more than 100 gas masks. Furthermore, it will remove up to 99% of all contaminants in the air that are less than or equal to 0.3 microns and up to 95% of all particles that are less than or equal to 0.0003 microns in spaces up to 1125 sq. ft.
Exclusive HyperHEPA Filters
The integrated filter will stop the smallest particles that exist. Even those that are up to 10x smaller than viruses. The purifier four disposable gas-phase filter cartridges that have up to 12 lbs. of the highest-grade activated carbon from bituminous coal. Its design features are:
- Alumina Pellets – These have potassium permanganate that will remove chemicals such as formaldehyde from the air
- Cylindical Shape – The design will allow optimal contact between the air and the filtration media
- Triple-Seal Technology – The filter media is 100% sealed in the filter frame. The 3D UltraSeal will perfectly seal the housing to prevent air leaks
Due to the individual seals, the airtight design makes this one of the most suitable choices for those that suffer from allergies due to tobacco or wildfire smoke. Also, as it has a tight seal, it ensures longer longevity.
|1125 sq. ft.||4||300 CFM||10 to 25 dB(A)|
Features To Consider
- Power Consumption – 27 to 215-watts
- Dimensions – 16” x 15” x 28”
The 320-degree air delivery means that the clean air will be diffused from corner-to-corner which means that you can use it in a large home or for light commercial needs. Also, you no longer have to worry about noisy air outlets or awkward air drifts. Its particularities are:
- Speeds – Choose between the 6 integrated speeds
- Accessories – Inside of the package, you will find the GC HyperHEPA Pre-Filter, GC MultiGas Cartridges and GC Post-Filter Sleeves
- Safe – It has a 100% ozone-free operation
As it has an energy-efficient operation, it will cost you pennies to run this product. As it only uses 27-watts, you can allow it to operate continuously throughout the day and night. In fact, even though it has numerous features, it consumes as much energy as a light bulb.
12. Coway AP-1512HH
The 4-stage filtration system has the ability to remove up to 99.97% of all contaminants that are as small as 0.3 microns in size. This includes viruses, bacteria, pollen, dust particles, and mold. In addition to this, it also has the ability to cover an area of up to 361 sq. ft. Hence, it’s designed for large living spaces such as apartments, living rooms, or bedrooms.
Air Quality Indicator
Designed with a pollution sensor, the unit will measure how clean the air is. Watch out for the LED light as it will let you know in real-time how polluted the indoor air is. Then, the Auto Mode will automatically adjust the speeds accordingly. Its design features are:
- Speeds – Choose between the 3 integrated speeds to make it work according to your specific needs
- Eco Mode – If the unit hasn’t detected any pollution or contaminants in the air for 30 minutes, it will automatically stop
- Timer – Set the unit up to 1, 4, or 8 hours in advance
- Dimensions – 16.8” x 18.3” x 9.6”
You can set and forget this purifier because of its automatic features. For example, if you like it in the manual mode when the timer runs out, it will automatically shut off. Whereas, in the auto mode, when no pollution is detected, it will lower the speed and energy consumption.
|361 sq. ft.||4||Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 CFM||24 to 53.8 dB(A)|
To ensure a thorough clean of the air, it has multiple filtration stages. The pre-filter is washable which means that you don’t have to worry about expensive investments. The included filters are:
- Pre-filter – This stage will capture contaminants such as hair, fur, and dust
- Activated Carbon – All VOCs, cigarette smoke, harmful gasses, pet odor, and common household foods will be removed
- True HEPA – Fine dust particles, mold, and 99% of all other contaminants are not only removed but also eliminated
- Vital Ionizer – Turn it on or off. This bipolar ionizer will generate an electrochemical reaction that will reduce stubborn particles from the air
The Carbon and the True HEPA filters are replaceable. However, this unit comes with a filter indicator light that will let you know when it’s the right time to change them. Thus, you don’t need to second-guess your decision.
11. GermGuardian AC4100
Personal space is incredibly important. However, what do you do, when the air is filled with bacteria, viruses, dust, and pollen? This 3-in-1 desktop purifier has the ability to remove up to 99.97% of contaminants such as germs, pet dander, mold spores and other allergens that are as small as 0.3 microns. Also, it’s compact enough to be taken anywhere you go or in small spaces.
4 Air Changes Per Hour
Even though it’s small, this product has been designed with many filtration stages to ensure that no air can escape being unfiltered. Made to cover an area of 78 sq. ft., the machine will get rid of all of the chemical fumes, wildfire smoke, or cigarette smoke that is around you. The filtration stage includes:
- Pre-filter/Activated Carbon – This stage will remove large particles such as odors, VOCs, dust, and pet dander
- HEPA – If you suffer due to allergy triggers such as pollen, this stage will remove all of the triggers so you can breathe with ease
- UV-C Light – The light will include staph, influenza, and chemicals such as Titanium Dioxide
|78 sq. ft.||3||Dust 66 / Pollen 76 / Smoke 50 CFM||39 to 58 dB(A)|
Features To Consider
- Power Consumption – 2 to 40-watts
- UV Wavelength – 100 to 280nm
- Dimensions – 11 (H) x 6.5 (W) x 7.5 (D)
Multiple Operating Modes
To ensure that it will operate according to your needs, you can choose between the operating modes such as sleep mode, UV-C light, or manual speeds. Its design features are:
- Speeds – Choose between the 3 integrated speeds to choose your comfort level
- Indicator Light – When the filter needs to be replaced, the indicator light will let you know
- AHAM Verified – This certificate proves that the purifier will eliminate tobacco smoke, dust, and pollen
You can purchase this model with confidence as it comes with a 1-year warranty period. Hence, if the product damages due to the workmanship, the company will cover the repair costs or exchange it with a new unit. Also, it’s important to mention that the product doesn’t produce distracting noise while purifying the air.
10. RabbitAir BioGS 2.0
If you have a rather large living space, this purifier is suitable for your needs. It has the ability to cover an area of 625 sq. ft. from up to 99.97% of all contaminants that measure as small as 0.3 microns. Also, it will clean the air twice in one hour if set on the highest speed. To prove how efficient it is, it has been awarded by the Red Dot Design, G-Mark Good Design, and Chicago Athenaeum Good Design. All of these certificates show that it has met the expectations of numerous people.
Smoke can seriously damage our lungs. Thus, this unit has been designed with multiple stages of filtration to prevent any air from getting unfiltered. Furthermore, it will not only remove the smoke but also deodorize the air. Hence, you can smoke indoors without the smoke expanding to the surroundings. The filtration process is:
- Pre-filter – This stage will effectively remove all large particles such as dust mites and pet dander
- BioGS HEPA – You can rely on this stage to remove up to 99.97% contaminants such as fungi, mols, viruses, and bacteria
- Charcoal-based Activated Carbon Filter – The filter has been designed with a thin layer of activated carbon to remove common household odors, exhaust fumes, VOCs, and greenhouse gasses
- Negative Ion Generator – The negative ions produce will freshen up the air
|625 sq. ft.||5||Dust 165 / Pollen 189 / Smoke 152 CFM||22.8 to 50.4 dB(A)|
Features To Consider
- Power Consumption – 5 to 39-watts
- Dimensions – 22.2 (H) x 16.6 (W) x 9.8 (D)
Energy Star Certified
The purifier has been designed with numerous convenience features that will make the purifier work according to your needs. Below are some of the design features:
- Safe – The childproof feature will pause the purifier from operating when the front panel is removed
- Quiet – The BLDC motor will produce minimal noise when filtering the air. In fact, it’s virtually silent
- BioGS Filter – This filter has been designed with material that will stop the growth of bacteria and viruses on the filter
Made in the US, this model has been made to fit your expectations. Additionally, if you use the machine 24-hrs daily, the filters have a life expectancy of 18-months. Also, if your home suffers from mold, this is an excellent product for your needs. The mold spores will be stopped from spreading so it’s impossible for it to expand.
9. LEVOIT LV-H132
This purifier has been made in California after US standards. Hence, the company has guaranteed that this is a 100% Ozone-free product. The 3-stage filtration will make the air to travel through the pre-filter, the True HEPA filter, and through the Activated Carbon filter. All of these will work in perfect harmony to capture up to 99.97% of all airborne contaminants such as pet dander, pollution, smoke, and dust. In fact, anything that measures as small as 0.3 microns, the purifier will be able to capture it.
Circulates The Air 4 Times Per Hour
In order to ensure superior efficiency, the unit will clean the air 4 times per hour. So, if you’re smoking inside the home or if there’s wildfire nearby, the purifier will ensure that it neutralizes and eliminates all kind of smoke. Some of its design particularities are:
- Noise – On the lowest speed, it can create a noise level of 25 decibels. So, you will barely hear it at night time or during the day
- Speeds – The 3 adjustable speeds will allow you to control the purifier however you need it to
- Timer – You can set the unit to operate 2, 4, or 8 hours in advance
|129 sq. ft.||3||40 CFM||25 to 46 dB(A)|
- Night Light – You can choose between warm ambiance or to turn off the light
- Indicator Light – Whenever the filter needs to be replaced, the LED light will let you know
CARB-certified, FCC-certified, ETL-listed
In order to prove its efficiency, this model has been independently tested. Hence, it has received numerous certifications for its capabilities to not only neutralize smoke but to also completely eliminate it. In fact, it can also get rid of common household smells. So, if you have a pet, this model is also suitable for your needs. Furthermore, if you’re looking for your first ever purifier, you can purchase this unit in confidence as it comes with 2-years limited warranty period. Thus, if you’re not happy with it, you can send it back and receive a full refund.
8. Enther Air Purifier AP1C
This intelligent appliance has been designed in order to improve your living conditions. This purifier will cover an area of 376 sq. ft. which means that it’s suitable for your living room, bedroom, and office. In addition to this, the smart integrated features will get rid of any odors and smells that are putting your health at risk. If you suffer from respiratory problems or a low immune system, this purifier is a great choice for your needs. The 2-years warranty period will protect you from repair costs.
The unit has been crafted with a Pre-filter, True HEPA, and Activated Carbon. Therefore, the air will pass through 3 stages so you can breathe fresh and clean air. Furthermore, it has been noted that it can remove 99.97% of airborne contaminants such as pollen, smoke, dust, and pet dander. Some of its features are:
- Speed – You can choose from low, medium, and high in order to accommodate your needs with ease
- Timer – The appliance can be set for 1, 4, or 8 hours. When the timer finishes, it will automatically turn off
- Sleep Mode – When the night comes, you can set the purifier on sleep mode so it will automatically turn itself on the lowest setting to produce minimal noise
- Night Light – You can turn on and off the light
|376 sq. ft.||3||120 CFM||20 to 56 dB(A)|
Air Quality Monitor
The purifier will let you know the quality of the indoor air automatically. The light band on top of the appliance will change according to how clean the air is. Additionally, it will also automatically adjust the speed according to the air quality. Some of its particularities are:
- Aroma Box – On top of the unit, you will find the aroma box that will diffuse fragrance while purifying the air
- Ozone-free – You can use the purifier throughout the day and night as it won’t produce ozone
- Maintenance – The filter has to be replaced every 6 months
This purifier will remove large particles such as pet dander and also remove small airborne contaminants such as bacteria and viruses. As well as, it will also eliminate various odors and smoke such as wildfire smoke. If you suffer from allergies this unit is also suitable for your needs as it can remove pollen, mold spores, and dust.
7. VEVA 8000 Elite Pro Series
This is another highly capable model that comes at an affordable price. By using the HEPA filter, this unit is capable of removing up to 99.97% of contaminants such as dust and allergens that measure .3 microns. This includes pet dander, mold spores, tobacco smoke, and wildfire smoke. In fact, it can also remove bacteria, and PM 2.5 particles. If you suffer from allergies or asthma and the environment around you is making your allergy reactions worse, you should consider this model.
Complete Removal of Smoke
The reason why this purifier is so sought after is due to the fact that it has been engineered with a superior quality 4 Activated Carbon pre-filters. Thus, it can remove odors from:
The activated nano-technology will provide sanitized and clean air to areas that measure up to 325 sq. ft. Even though it includes more filters than the other models, VEVA 800 comes with the most affordable HEPA filters. Thus, you don’t have to spend a considerable amount of money every 6 to 12 months, according to how often you use it.
|325 sq. ft.||3||135 CFM||40 to 61 dB(A)|
Versatile and Sleek
The unit has an innovative design that will allow you to use it as a tower in your home or office or a table-top purifier. Thus, you can place it on furniture and it will take minimal space. The unit measures 9” x 8” x 23” but it’s highly capable. Above all, this model is 100% ozone-free. Therefore, it doesn’t produce a measurable amount of ozone which is harmful to our health. Some of its features are:
- Speeds – The unit has been crafted with 3 speeds which you can choose from according to how polluted the room is
- Automatic shut-off – You can set the purifier to work throughout the night as it will automatically shut-off whenever the timer has run out
- Energy-efficient – It can run throughout the day and night due to the fact that you won’t see any considerable increases in your electricity bill
Safe and Practical
Whenever you choose the lowest speed setting, you will notice that it doesn’t produce distracting noises. Thus, you can place it in the nursery room. As well as, this model is ETL certified for safety so you can allow it to operate even when you’re not at home. Additionally, it has been individually tested by the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories and has met and exceeded expectations. Hence, it’s also UL awarded.
6. LEVOIT LV-PUR131
This filter has been crafted with 3-stage filtration that includes a Pre-filter, True HEPA, and Activated Carbon. This means that it will get rid of up to 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns and large pollution particles of PM 2.5. It has a smart auto mode that will monitor the air quality so once it detects smoke in the air, it will automatically turn itself on. Therefore, you don’t have to constantly change the speeds according to your needs. Also, this product is suitable for rooms of up to 322 sq. ft. thus, you can use it for living rooms and offices.
Innovative and Smart Features
- Auto Mode – This smart feature will indicate how polluted the air is around you. If the pollution reaches a high level, the unit will automatically adjust its speed
- Ozone-free – This model is 100% ozone-free which means that it will not produce the harmful pollutant to eliminate the contaminants
- Energy Star Certified – You can enjoy this model throughout the day and night as it won’t increase your energy bill
|360 sq. ft.||3||135 CFM||10 to 27 dB(A)|
Smoke and Odor-free
- Fine Preliminary Filter – This is the first filter that the contaminated air will face. This filter will get rid of mold, fungi, bacteria, and tobacco smoke
- True HEPA filter – The award-winning HEPA filter is capable of eliminating dust mites, pollen, and wildfire smoke
- Activated Carbon Filter – This will remove the odors that are lingering in the air including cooking smells or smoke particles that haven’t been captured by the first 2 filters
Safe and Efficient
In 2018, this product has been Energy Star Rated which means that it has an energy-efficient operation. It’s also ETL, CARB, and CE-approved which means that it has been constructed from safe materials that are not harmful to humans or pets The 3-fan speeds will allow you to use it in bedrooms as you can make it function on a whisper-quiet mode so you won’t be distracted by the noises it produces. It also has an automatic shut-off and once the timer runs out, it will automatically shut itself off.
5. GermGuardian AC4825
This is one of the best sellers for many reasons. The first being that it’s one of the most efficient. The 3-level filtration system will capture 99% of dust and allergens as small as 0.3 microns. This includes dust, pet dander, and smoke. The unit is so efficient that it can even control mold spores. If you care about your home, it’s a good idea to consider this product. We recommend that you change the filter every 8 months in order to maintain the same quality throughout the years. You will be thoroughly pleased to know that the unit is lightweight and portable.
The purifier comes with UV-C light technology that has been created from titanium dioxide so it will kill bacteria, viruses, and germs. Of course, if you want to keep its efficiency you will have to change the bulb. Don’t worry, the indicator light will let you know when the time has arrived. Some of its particularities are:
- CADR Rating – The CADR rating is of 100+ and it can clean rooms that are small to medium-sized
- HEPA Filter – This filter will ensure that it removes pollen, mold spores, pet dander, and dust mites
- Odor Removal – In case you have pets or you’re cooking frequently, this unit is a must have as it removes household smells
|167 sq. ft.||3||Dust 118 / Pollen 125 / Smoke 108 CFM||20 to 50 dB(A)|
Important Features To Consider
- It has an energy-efficient operation so your bill will remain constant
- You will need to replace the filter every 6 to 8 months
- It has a sleek design and modern design
Convenient and Practical
This model is AHAM Verified which is an independently tested and consumer trusted. Due to the fact that the tests have been achieved by a professional laboratory, it shows that you can purchase this product in confidence. Its filters are:
- HEPA Filter – This filter is capable of removing small particles that are damaging to our health. All of these contaminants can be found in every single home
- Charcoal Filter – This filter will remove odors that are making your clothes and the surrounding smell bad. The filter has the capacity to remove odors from pets, smoking, and cooking
- UV-C light – This filter has been designed with Titanium Dioxide which means that it will remove bacteria, viruses, and germs
The reason why we recommend this model is due to the fact that it has been made in order to last for numerous years. All of the filters and smart technology work together in order to make your life much easier. By considering this model, you will be able to enjoy a purifier that blends in with your décor and doesn’t bring unnecessary attention. As well as, it has an energy-efficient operation which means that you can have it on for the whole day.
4. Whirlpool Whispure AP51030K
This model is efficient enough to clean rooms that are up to 500 sq. ft. In fact, it filters air up to 4.8 times per hour. If you put it in sleep mode, the model will automatically change settings and it will enter the Whispure quiet mode. If you’re looking for a product that does the most for its price, you should know that this item comes with 5-Years warranty. Therefore, if you believe that it lost its efficiency, you can get in contact with the customer support team.
The True HEPA filter will capture up to 99% of airborne particles such as allergen, pollen, dust, smoke and pet dander. You can position it wherever you want in the room and the whole area will be thoroughly cleaned. The process includes:
- Pre-filter – This has the capability to trap the large particles such as hair, pollen, and large dust particles. It also prolongs the life of the HEPA filter
- Carbon Filter – This filter will ensure that it absorbs and removes odors from cooking, pets, cleaning products, and mold spores
- True HEPA Filter – This filter is capable of capturing particles that measure up to 0.3 microns. This includes bacteria, fine dust, and allergens that are causing your breathing issues
Design and Specifications
When the timer runs out, you will enjoy the fact that the unit will automatically turn off. Therefore, it ensures energy-efficient operation. In addition to this, it has 4 fan speeds which means that you can make it function according to your needs. Furthermore, on the highest speed, it makes a noise level of 44 dB which means that it’s whisper quiet. Also, it measures 20.4” x 10” x 24.13” which means that it’s compact enough to be placed wherever you wish. It also weighs 22.6 lbs. which means that it’s lightweight and portable.
|500 sq. ft.||4||Dust 325 / Pollen 401 / Smoke 315 CFM||43 to 44 dB(A)|
The unit has been designed with 4-speed levels so it’s very convenient for the times when you want to sleep or you want it to clean fast. In addition to this, its operation is whisper-quiet which means that you can leave it functioning for the whole day. Some of its particularities are:
- Timer – You can set the timer for up to 8 hours. Choose from 2, 4, 6, and 8 hours
- Filter Indicator – This indicator will let you know when the time has arrived in order for you to change the filter
- CADR Rating – This model has a Clean Air Delivery Rate of 315 which means that it will clean the air fast
This model is efficient enough to remove a large variety of contaminants that are triggering your allergies. In addition to this, it has a whisper-quiet operation which means that you can keep it functioning at night time in the baby’s room. The noise it makes won’t be disturbing to pets or children. As well as, it comes with a lot of safety certificates which prove that this is one of the safest and most efficient products on the market. The long warranty period means that you will be protected against any damages and concerns.
3. Honeywell True HEPA HPA300
This purifier is able to capture up to 99% of airborne particles that are as small as 0.3 microns. The activated carbon pre-filter will absorb VOCs, gasses, and odors and it’s also able to capture large particles such as bacteria and viruses. In order to maintain maximum efficiency, you will need to replace the pre-filter every 3 months. It measures 20” x 10” x 22” and it weighs around 21 pounds.
The greatest thing about it is that it will let you know when to do that and it doesn’t require any tools. If you have a large area that requires clean air, you should consider this model. This is because it’s able to handle a room that is up to 465 sq. ft. The CADR rating is of 300+ which means that it’s more efficient than many other models that are currently on the market. Some of its particularities are:
- HEPA filter can capture particles that are as small as 0.3 microns
- The unit is also capable of removing allergens such as pollen, mold spores, and tobacco smoke
- It’s suitable for those with pets as it can remove pet fur, dust, and lint
|465 sq. ft.||3||320 CFM||40 to 60 dB(A)|
The unit is capable of making up to 5 air changes an hour. This means that it pushes all of the air in the room through the filters once every 12 minutes. Therefore, if you’re suffering from allergies severely, this model can help you with it. It can also:
- The 3-speeds will allow you to adjust the airflow according to your own specific needs
- The built-in timer will ensure that you can set it to function every 2, 4, or 8 hours
- The controls are very easy to understand as they only require a one-touch operation
The mechanical filtration process means that the unit is pulling the particle-filled air into the purifying unit, then it forces it into the HEPA filter. The automatic process will allow the most efficient air cleaning and purifying process. It can circulate the air up to five times per hour. Any microbe that measures .3 microns will be absorbed into the unit. Therefore, it provides 100% efficiency. Additionally, due to the fact that it has 3 filters, it can be used in a variety of environments to keep you protected at all times.
2. Winix 5300
This model has a 4-stage filtration system. It has permanent pre-filter that can remove hair, dust and pet dander. If you vacuum it once a week, it will last for many years to come. You can choose between two colors; white and black. Therefore, it will fit in any décor you may have. This is one of the smartest models on the market. For example, when you turn off the lights, the unit will automatically adjust the fan to the quietest setting and the lights on the control panel will dim. Furthermore, the unit has been designed with an indicator light that will let you know when to replace the filter. Finally, you will be thoroughly pleased to know that the highest speed uses 128-watts.
This product has been designed with PlasmaWave 5300 technology which combines superior filtration mechanism to capture airbone particles from the air. The air actually goes through 3-stages of filtration before you will be able to inhale it. This means that it will eliminate as many chemicals as possible. This includes anything from:
- Pet dander
The smart technology breaks apart allergen, chemical vapors, odors, and another pollutant to ensure that the discharged air is clean, pure, and fresh. In addition to this, various airborne pollutants are broken apart at a molecule level to produce harmless byproducts.
|360 sq. ft.||4||240 CFM||38 to 70 dB(A)|
The activated carbon filter will eliminate odors and smoke from stuffy rooms and environments. In addition to this, when you set it into the auto mode, it will automatically adjust the fan speed so the air quality improves. This unit has been designed with:
- Carbon Pre-filter – This odor control pre-filter works to capture large contaminants like hair and dust. As well as unpleasant smells
- TrueHEPA filter – This filter is one of the most powerful on the market. As it’s able to remove even the smallest pollutants from the air
- PlasmaWave – This generates both positive and negative ions in order to create plasma clusters that instantly neutralize viruses, bacteria, and chemical vapors
Even though it’s described to be bulky, it’s still very efficient. The control panel gives very easy access to the device’s air quality indicator, which detects pollutant levels in a room and adjust its speed accordingly. This feature works extremely well for large rooms. In addition to this, the unit is extremely energy efficient and it’s Energy Star rated. The device draws 60 watts and when it’s on the lowest setting, it only draws a maximum of 10. This means that you can leave it functioning for the whole day as it won’t affect your energy bill.
1. Honeywell 50250-S
This model is recommended for those with fairly large areas available. This unit alone can cover a room that is up to 390 sq. ft. Whilst it can’t clean the air for the entire home, your living room or bedroom will be cleaned very fast and efficiently. It’s built to last and the price of it accessible to all pockets. The patent 360-degree feature ensures that the air intake and discharge reach maximum efficiency. Wherever you put it in the room, the entire air in the room will be cleaned. Whether you’re dealing with allergies, asthma or you want to get rid of odors, you should consider this product. If you purchase this product, you will get rid of dust, pollen, pet dander, and mold spores within a few minutes.
As a rule of thumb, you must remember to change the filter every 3 months. Don’t worry, the indicator light that is on top of the filter will let you know when the time has come. There aren’t any tools to change it. Nonetheless, you do have to mind that it’s best that you choose high-quality HEPA filters rather than cheap knock-offs. These are some of its convenient characteristics:
- The durable HEPA pre-filter can be vacuumed if you don’t want to change it so often. If you maintain it properly you can even replace it every few years
- The carbon activated pre-filter will capture larger particles like dust and lint
- It comes with 3-speed levels so you can choose the convenience features for different environments
|390 sq. ft.||3||250 CFM||49 to 62 dB(A)|
The True HEPA filter will be able to capture up to 99% of airborne particles. This includes bacteria, viruses, pet dander, mold spores, tobacco smoke, pollen, and odors. Even though it’s rather small, it will still be as efficient as you want it to be. The CADR rating is of 250. Thus, it will completely get rid of the smoke, dust, and pollen. Some of its performance features are:
- If you place it in a room that measures up to 80 sq. ft. the air will be changed up to 23 times per hour. Thus, it’s inevitable that you will completely get rid of the smoke
- Even if you put it in a room that measures more than 390 sq. ft. the air in the room will be changed up to 5 times
- The activated carbon pre-filter is capable of capturing particles that are much smaller than smoke particles, such as pollen
Fast Filter Replacement
In order to ensure efficiency, the unit has been designed with SurroundSeal technology. This feature makes sure that there aren’t any air leaks. This is great news for those that want to get rid of smoke particles. It would be impossible for the air to get thoroughly cleaned if some can escape. The powerful motor is currently one of the best on the market. It works so well that it will capture airborne particles that are as small as 0.3 microns. You can position this unit wherever you want in the room, this is because it measures 18” x 18” x 18”. On top of the unit, you will find a handle that will ease the filter replacement procedure and the knob is very easy to understand and maneuver.
Top 5 Comparison
|Honeywell 50250-S||Winix 5300||Honeywell True HEPA HPA300||Whirlpool Whispure AP51030K||GermGuardian AC4825|
|THE BEST||OUR CHOICE|
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Filtration and Technology Systems Used
|True HEPA, Activated Carbon, and SurroundSeal||True HEPA, Activated Carbon, and PlasmaWave||True HEPA and Activared Carbon||True HEPA and Activared Carbon||True HEPA, Charcoal, and UV-C|
|Kills 99% of carbon-based molecules like smoke, mold, bacteria, and viruses||Removes up to 99% mold, allergens, dust mites, bacteria, viruses, pet dander, tobacco smoke, and ozone||Eiminates 99% of impurities in the air||Destroys up to 99% of mold, allergens, dust mites, bacteria, viruses, pet dander, tobacco smoke, and ozone||Kills 99.9% of bacteria, dust, mold, viruses, odors, and allergens|
|390 sq. ft.||360 sq. ft.||465 sq. ft.||500 sq. ft.||155 sq. ft.|
|Indicator light||Auto Speed, Auto Dim, and Indicator light||Timer, Auto Shut-off, Turbo cleaning||Plus Sleep, Turbo Mode, Timer, and Indicator light||Indicator light|
Number Of Speeds
Dangers of Smoke
No matter how you put it, there’s no hiding the fact that smoke is bad for your health and for those that you love. There are 0 safe substances in tobacco products and they contain harmful gasses and volatile organic compounds. If your body is exposed to it constantly, you will experience a range of consequences. In addition to this, you may experience the damaging factors wildfire smoke can cause to your health. Whatever you are dealing with, you need the help of such a purifier.
If you’re a regular smoker, you may already know that it can have immediate and long-term effects on your health. For example, even if you feel that it can temporarily lift up your mood, you may not be aware that it causes dependence and withdrawal side effects. Furthermore, you are at a high risk of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In fact, 8 out of 10 cases of COPD are due to smoking. In addition to this, you can also develop:
- Heart diseases
- Blood clotting
If you live in a state that is battling such pain, you may already be taught the dangers of such smoke. This is why you may have noticed that there’s a wide rescue medication available in your area. If you live elsewhere, you should know that this smoke gets carried around the globe and you are exposing yourself to developing chronic diseases. Some of the problems you can develop are:
- Reduced birth weight for babies exposed to the smoke in the womb
- Increased chances of premature death
- Heart conditions
- Lung diseases
Just because you don’t smoke or you don’t live in an area affected by wildfire, it doesn’t mean that you’re protected. In fact, 3.8 million people a year die prematurely from illnesses due to household air pollution. Caused by the inefficient use of solid fuels and kerosene cooking. If you’re cooking using fuels such as wood, crop waste, charcoal, coal, and dung, you should know that you’re risking your health. Below you will find the following diseases that you can develop:
- Lung cancer
- Ischaemic Hear Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Installation & Maintenance
When the purifier is installed properly, it has the ability to operate for many years. It does this while keeping its quality. Furthermore, it’s important to mention that you don’t have to keep the units working for a few hours a day as the polluted air can constantly develop. If you don’t want to keep it working throughout the day, you can allow it to work for at least 8-hrs.
Additionally, it’s also important to install the unit as it’s said in the guide below or the user manual to ensure that it’s working according to your needs. Many brands will offer the warranty period only if the unit has been installed correctly. Thus, you should pay close attention to the information below:
The very first thing that you must do is remove the plastic cover of the unit. This action should be repeated for any type of appliance. Then, you should open up the purifier and follow the following instructions:
- Filters – Generally, the units are designed with 3 different filters such as the pre-filter, Activated Carbon, and HEPA filter. It’s important to remove the plastic bags or containers that they are in to allow the mesh outside to absorb the particles
- Position – Most often, you will find small white hinges that are holding the papers to the filters. These are placed there to help you to plug out the filters and to plug them in back. Make sure that they are in position
- Combine – If all of the filters have a designated place, ensure that each one is in the right place. Remember, the granular side goes in first when placing it back in the mesh. Place the back cover on the purifier and turn the unit on.
- Listen – Make sure that you listen when it’s operating to make sure that it’s working properly. Also, take a look at the operating lights to see if they’re on. These will let you know if you’ve installed it properly
As mentioned above, it’s important to maintain the purifier according to its particular needs. Therefore, you should follow the simple rules below:
- Pre-filter – Such filters will be able to remove large particles such as hair and dust. Thus, it’s important to wash and wipe them regularly. Use a damp cloth that is soaked in warm water and gently remove all of the excess dirt. You should repeat this action at least once per month
- HEPA Filter – This is one of the most crucial filters that the majority of the units have. If the HEPA purifier is washable, use a vacuum to help you remove all of the dirt away. Furthermore, once you have removed the large build-up, use a damp cloth to remove the smaller dust particles from the corner. If the HEPA filter is replaceable, purchase a new filter when the indicator light lets you know.
Additionally, you should also pay some attention to the grills and panels for dust build-up. Similarly, with the washable filters, use a vacuum cleaner and a damp cloth.
Regardless, of how much one tries to deny it, smoke is damaging to our health. This includes tobacco, cigar, and wildfire smoke. However, if you keep a purifier working while smoking, the machine will remove the contaminant and provide you with fresh air. So, by the time you breathe, you will only breathe fresh and clean air.
Below are our three top choices that you should give a second thought to:
Best Overall: Honeywell 50250-S
As it has a 360-degrees air intake which means that it can cover a large room of up to 300 sq. ft. In fact, for every 80 sq. ft. the air will be changed up to 20 times per hour. Thus, it’s nearly impossible for contaminants to build-up or to travel around the room without getting caught.
Perhaps, one of the reasons why this model sells so well is because it has a low-profile design which means that it will bring minimal attention to itself.
Best for smart features: LEVOIT LV-PUR131
The 3-stage filtration to remove 99.9% of particles that are as small as 0.3 microns. Above all it, the purifier can automatically detect the smoke in the air and it will turn itself on. As well as, it will also automatically adjust its speed according to how polluted the room is.
As it has been designed with an award-winning HEPA filter, your needs will be met with ease.
Best quality-price: Enther Air Purifier AP1C
If you’re looking for purifiers that you can make them to operate according to your own particular needs, you should consider Enther Air Purifier AP1C as it has been designed with an adjustable timer, speeds, and even an aroma box.
Also, it has an ozone-free operation so you’re not putting your health at risk if you want to use it extensively.