Hours of Research
Consumer Reviews Analyzed
ow secure do you think your home is? Unless you have installed a smart lock it is impossible to say. You cannot know if someone has already spotted your spare key hidden in your “secret” location. Maybe they have already made a copy and can go in and out of your home as they like.
Don’t get us wrong, if you live in a good neighborhood, this is probably a scenario and it will remain this way, but the truth is that you can never be too cautious. Especially if you have kids.
Thus, although a smart lock may seem expensive, it is your best option at the moment if you are going to supervise your home. And if you are wondering which model to choose, you can find tens of excellent recommendations on our website. Nevertheless, today we will concentrate on one of the most popular models, namely Schlage BE479 Sense. So keep on reading to find out everything regarding its specifications and features.
- Remote access– it can connect to an Apple TV, which must be located within a distance of a maximum of 30 feet in your home, and thus transmit information to your phone, even if it is outside its coverage range
Auto-lock – with this option you will never have to worry that you have left your door open. Just pick an interval between 15 sec and 4 min and the door will lock automatically
- Backup key – will save you in case you lose your phone or the lock runs out of battery. However, the battery can last for up to 12 months, so if you check on it once in a while, you shouldn’t have to deal with this problem.
This device is rated with ANSI/BHMA Grade 1, meaning that it meets the highest industry rating for durability and security. The built-in alarm technology senses potential door attacks and it alerts you of them.
- App – If you want others to have access to the smart device, you can assign codes or designate phones through the Schlage Sense app
- Codes – It is able to hold up to 30 different access codes at a time. You can set the code length that you want
- Tracks – The app allows you to view a log of every log action. This way, you can see when the lock was opened and closed, and who did it
- Touchscreen – The touchscreen allows you to enter the access code even if you are wearing gloves and it’s raining outside. For your convenience, it’s also illuminated and fingerprint resistant
Design and installation
The security device measures 2.1″ x 3″ x 8.2″. It’s designed to work for doors that range in thickness between 1 3/8 inches and 1 3/4 inches. It is available in 2 color choices, more precisely satin nickel and matte black. It weighs about 5 pounds. Its features are:
- Alarm – In case it detects an unusual operation, the built-in siren will activate so you know someone is at your door straightaway
- Installation – You will be able to install this system within minutes as it’s simple and straightforward. The installation video that comes with is easy to be followed
- Detection – You can set up the system to beep when the door is locked and unlocked
The installation is pretty simple. You should install the app before you start the installation of the device. Remove the current deadbolt from the door. If it’s necessary, adjust the unit’s bolt length and the faceplate. Install the bolt into the door and then install the strike into the frame. Don’t forget to test for bolt alignment. Place the touchscreen on the outside of the door and the support plate on the inside of the door. Remove the battery cover from the Alarm Assembly and connect the cable to it. Install the Alarm Assembly and secure it to the support plate. Install the batteries into the battery tray, after which you place the battery cover. Finally, set up the lock and test it to see if it works.
|Dimensions||2.1″ x 3″ x 8.2″|
|Weight||Approx. 5 pounds|
|Color||Satin nickel/matte black|
|Battery||4 AA alkaline batteries|
|Method of Opening||Keypad/smartphone/key|
|App||Schlage Sense app|
|Traditional Manual Keys|
|Warranty||Lifetime mechanical and finish warranty/3-year electronics warranty|
Warranty and support
The product is covered by a 3-year warranty for the electronic parts. Also, it comes with a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty. In case you have problems with your device, you can call the phone number listed on the manufacturing company’s website. The customer support team will answer your questions and they will send someone to fix the device if it is malfunctioning.
Once you install this smart lock, you can rest assured because your house will be well-protected against burglars and home invaders. The entire system is very innovative and it was specially designed to offer you a high level of security for many years. Being able to control the lock via your smartphone and to find out when and by whom it was used are great advantages and for this reason, many people choose to invest in this particular model. Also, the many features this smart lock come with, and its ease of use, make it a truly reliable option for your home safety.