In simple words, the door openers are motor powered devices that are designed to open and close the garage door. They can be operated manually or by remote controls and they are the best option when it comes to securing the garage. All the openers function by using a specific driving system and there are three types of such systems: chain drives, belt drives, and screw drives.
The main purpose is to keep your car and other valuable items in the garage safe, and this is why they come with all sorts of features that are meant to increase the security of all your valuable things. From battery backup to safety beam sensor and timer-to-close, these innovative devices are not just a convenience, but an investment in your house. Moreover, these home appliances are built to last for many years, allowing you to feel more safe and secure.
- 14. LiftMaster 8500
- 13. Chamberlain B1381
- 12. Chamberlain MYQ-G0301
- 11. Genie QuietLift Connect
- 10. Craftsman ½ HP Chain Drive
- 9. Chamberlain B970
- 8. Skylink ATOMS AT-1622BK
- 7. Genie SilentMax 1200
- 6. Chamberlain B550
- 5. Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower
- 4. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power
- 3. LiftMaster 8550W Elite Series
- 2. SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP
- 1. Chamberlain WD962KEV Whisper Drive
- Top 5 Products Comparison
- Buying Guide
- The Advantages of Using One
- Top 3 Brands You Can Trust
- What’s Behind Our Ratings
14. LiftMaster 8500
In case you have limited space in your garage, this is the right model for your needs. The sleek and space-saving design of this unit will free up ceiling space. If you’re someone that enjoys minimalism this should be the right choice. Furthermore, this is also suitable for those that are looking for a noise-less model as this will run ultra-quiet so it will eliminate all vibrations and sounds through the ceiling. Even though it’s extremely quiet, the power lock deadbolt will prevent forced entries from intruders.
Motion Detector Sensors
Similarly, to the other units mentioned, this also comes with a light system. The sensors will detect movement and the lights will come on as soon as the sensors are activated. Enjoy uninterrupted light from corner-to-corner. Some of its design features are:
- myQ – Open/close the garage door wherever you are through the downloadable app on your smartphone
- Motor – The DC motor has a torque power equivalent to 3/4 HP
- Programmable – Program up to 4 remotes to control the garage door
Features To Remember
- Maximum Weight – It can lift a door up to 650 lbs in weight
- Compatibility – 18 ft tall x 10 ft wide doors
- Suitability – The unit is not suitable for roll up doors, low headroom track, and wayne dalton torquemaster
Included Safety Sensors
You will feel safe by having this model installed because of the included sensors. Such sensors will prevent the door from closing if something is in the way. The integrated light will beam across the the opening to ensure that there’s nothing there while the garage door is closing. Furthermore, it will also emit visual and audio warnings when the door is about to close.
- Easy to install by beginners
- Cable tension monitor included
- Designed with a manual release in case of a power outage
- Programmable to close at different time intervals
- Energy efficient operation
Extension kit needs to be purchased to connect to HomeLink
By considering this unit you don’t have to invest further because it comes with everything you need to easily set it up. Hence, inside of the package you will receive the unit, 2 remote controls, wall push button, and light system.
13. Chamberlain B1381
This smart unit will not only deliver durability but also the security you need to keep your home safe. It has an industry-leading design so you can experience precision-engineered performance. Hence, the incorporated MAX lift power will allow it to power heavy doors as it has a force equivalent to 1-1/4 HP. The effortless lifting and reliable performance will bring you years of use without having to invest further.
Ultra-quiet and Smooth
The steel-reinforced belt means that you can use this unit for attached garages. Thus, if you have the bedroom or living space above the garage, you will not be distracted by noises. Some of its design features are:
- LED Lighting – Through the 3,100 lumens of LED light the whole garage will be filled with light
- myQ – Open the door from anywhere through the myQ app on your smartphone
- Control Panel – The wireless panel doesn’t require extensive installment as it doesn’t have wires
Features To Remember
- Compatibility – Suitable for doors that are 7 ft high. Doors that measure between 8 to 10 ft high require an extension kit
- Speed – 7-inch per second
- Accessories Included – Wi-Fi DC belt drive, steel reinforced-belt, 2 Three-button remote controls, wireless keypad, and control panel
Backup Battery Incorporated
In case you’ve experienced a power outage, the backup battery will come into play. Therefore, you can open and close the garage door even when the power is out. Furthermore, the light system will also function for as long as you need it to. Regardless, if you require for the light system to be on for a long period of time, use the wall monitor to adjust the length of time.
- Numerous accessories included at no extra price
- The app comes for free
- The light system detects movement
- Designed with multiple safety sensors
- Open/close the door from anywhere
Not compatible with Alexa or Google Home
You can purchase the unit with confidence because it comes with generous warranty periods. So, you will receive lifetime warranty on motor, lifetime on belt, 5-years on parts, and 1-year for accessories. Hence, if it doesn’t work according to your expectations, the company will cover the repair costs or replace the parts with new ones.
12. Chamberlain MYQ-G0301
Another smart garage opener is provided by the industry-leading brand. Due to its smart features, you will be able to open and close it from anywhere by using your smartphone. MyQ app is for free and it can be downloaded regardless if you have an Apple or Samsung device. In addition to this, the easy-to-follow instruction will allow you to set it up without professional help. Best of all, this particular unit is available for in-garage delivery so you will be ensured that the package doesn’t go missing or damaged in transit.
You will know what is going on with the garage 24/7. This is because you will get alerted whenever the garage is opened, closed, or if it’s left opened. Thus, you no longer have to worry for the whole day if you’ve left your garage opened. Some of its design features are:
- Smart – Open or close the garage from your smartphone
- Shared – You can invite up to 3 people to have access to the control system of the uni
- IFTTT – Create a customized schedule to fit your particular needs
- Voice-enabled – Use Google Home to open or close the garage door
- Suitability – Place it on your existing garage door opener
- Compatibility – Chamberlain, LiftMaster, Craftsman, and Genie
- Warranty – 1-Year
Come home to a lit home or turn your lights on when the garage door is opened through the WINK app. Furthermore, inside the package, you will find the Wi-Fi Hub, door sensor, power adapter, and mounting hardware. Therefore, you don’t have to invest further. In fact, the batteries are also included.
Perhaps, what stands out about this garage door opener is the fact that you can control 2 different doors from your app. As long as there’s Wi-Fi and the hub is connected, you can open a garage door for a different house, in a different state.
- End-to-end encryption to keep data safe
- The app comes for free
- Designed with a light system
- You can give access to multiple users
- It works with more than 1 door
You need a smartphone to control it
Perhaps, the reason why this sells so well is because people enjoy the fact that they get to know everything that is going on with the garage door. Additionally, this particular model is available with in-garage delivery so it’s impossible for it to get stolen.
11. Genie QuietLift Connect
Do you have an attached living space to your garage? If so, you should consider this model. The reason for this is because this has a quiet operation which means that you won’t be distracted by noises or vibrations while it’s operating. In addition to this, you will be able to control the unit wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. In fact, it comes with Wi-Fi built-in so you will not need to worry about professionals helping you to set it up.
Alexa and Google Assistant Compatible
You don’t need a key or a smartphone to control this particular unit. If you have voice assistants in your home, connect this unit to it too. So, you can use only your voice to control it. Some of its design features are:
- Genie Aladdin Connect – Through the free app, you can set up virtual keys for individuals users so they can control the garage opener as well
- Intellicode Rolling Code – This technology will prevent unauthorized people to gain access by bypassing the system
- Safety Sensors – If the infrared beam detects an object in the way when coming down, it will automatically reverse back up
- Motor – The DC motor has a power of 3/4 HP
- Suitability – Sectional doors up to 7 feet tall or up to 500 lbs
- Drive Type – Steel-reinforced belt drive
The 5-piece rail system snaps together so you can set up even if you have limited mobility. In addition to this, there’s no hardware needed to install it. Hence, you don’t have to invest further. Equally important, the included remotes are pre-programmed which means that you can use them straight after installing the garage door opener. Some of its convenience features are:
- HomeLink compatible – The garage door will open as you approach the garage
- Accessories – Inside the package, you will find 2 remotes, wall console, and 1 wireless keypad
- Vacation Lock – Permanently shut down the garage door until you enable it again
- Extension kit available
- Lifetime warranty on motor
- Designed with a light system
- Numerous accessories included
- Control the unit from your car, smartphone, or by voice
Batteries are not included
One of the main reasons why this sells so well is because the warranty period is generous. As mentioned above, this unit comes with limited lifetime warranty for the motor, 15-years on belt, 5-years on parts, and 1-year on accessories.
10. Craftsman ½ HP Chain Drive
If you want years of dependable service, this is a great model to consider. This unit has the ability to lift residential garage doors up to 7 feet high. In addition to this, if you read the instructions booklet provided, you can program the car to open the garage door with the help of this product. Otherwise, you can download the app and you can use your smartphone to control it. Furthermore, you can also use the keypad to enter a 4-digit code to access your garage.
Tri-Frequency Radio System
Even though you have smart devices in your home, you don’t have to worry about interference from other appliances. The smart radio system will virtually eliminate such an effect. So, you can access the garage every time even if you’re at a distance. Some of its design features are:
- Anti-burglary – The coding technology will provide secure operation as the system is impossible to bypass
- Safety reversing sensors – If the sensors detect something in the way when going down, it will automatically reverse back up
- Interface monitors – It will automatically adjust the force required to open and close the garage door during temperature fluctuations
- Keypad – The backlit keypad will allow you to use it at night time with ease
- Capacity – Motor has a capacity of 1/2 HP
- Drive type – Chain drive
Sleep Mode Uses 1-watt
Such a product will not leave a big hole in your pocket. As it’s obvious that you won’t use it more than 10 times per day, it will stay a lot on standby. Hence, when it’s on this mode, it will only consume 1-watt of power. Some of its convenience features are:
- Light – The power unit is equipped with 2 light lenses so your garage will be lit when entering
- Remote control – The 2 3-functions plus Security+2.0 remote control will prevent it from being hacked
- HomeLink compatible
- Wireless operation means that you don’t need a key
- Energy efficient operation
- Designed with a light system
- Made with numerous safety settings
- Control the unit from your car
The operation is often described as noisy
Best of all, all the hardware that you need to install is included in the package at no extra price. This means that you don’t need to invest further if you don’t want to. However, if you want to connect it with AssureLink, you will need to make an extra purchase.
9. Chamberlain B970
This smart garage door opener will allow you to operate it anywhere you are through the smart myQ app. This ultra-quiet yet strong reinforced-steel belt drive will keep quality throughout the years. Best of all, through the app, you will receive real-time alerts, know the status of the door, and open/close the garage door even if you’re in a distance from home. Also, the anti-vibration capacity means that you can install this unit beneath a bedroom as you won’t be distracted by noises while it’s operating.
Highest Lifting Force In The Industry
Through the max lift power system, this unit has a lifting force equivalent to 1 ¼ HP. This means that even when the garage door is frozen to the ground, the unit can still lift it. In addition to this, the machine is weatherproof as it will operate in excessive heat, cold, and humidity. Some of its design features are:
- Triband Technology – The remote range is of 1,500 feet for a faster entrance and exit
- Battery Backup – You can open/close the garage door even during power shortages
- Posi-lock – The anti-theft protection will offer protection to stop forced entry attempts
Important Features To Consider
- Alexa Integration – Tell Alexa to open/close your garage door
- Versatile – This unit is also suitable for attached garages
- Programmable – Schedule your garage door to close at customized times
100 Billion Encryption Codes
This machine offers superior safety as it has been designed with unmatched security. The 100 Billion encryption codes means that it prevents hackers from overriding the system. As well as, it anti-theft protection makes it impossible for thieves to enter the home through the garage. Some of its particularities are:
- Motion Detectors – Once the control panel detects movement, it will automatically turn on the lights
- Wireless Keypad – Enter a unique 4-digit code for easy access without a remote control or app
- Safety Sensors – The invisible light beam across the garage door will automatically reverse the door if anything interrupts the beam
- Soft start and stop system so it can be installed beneath a bedroom
- Steel-reinforced belt drive system will reduce vibrations
- Designed with a light system
- Made with a programmable settings
- The app will offer real-time alerts
Limited warranty period
As you can see above, it’s clear to notice that this unit has been made in order to provide convenience regardless of the type of garage you have. As well as, it has been designed with the highest level of encryption and safety so it prevents hackers and thieves from attacking your home.
If you’re looking for a silent model that will also ensure a fast and smooth operation, this is a great model to consider. If your garage is below a living space such as a bedroom, you should consider this machine. The 1/2 HP motor will raise the door with limited vibrations. Even if this is your first garage door opener, you will be able to set it up with ease. Each head unit has been designed with a numeric display so you can follow each installation step with ease. Additionally, you can also follow the online videos or step by step guide developed by US experts.
Smart Features Integrated
You can rely on this product for numerous years to come as it will provide the same high quality throughout the years. Some of its particularities are:
- Skylink Connectivity – You can have full control over the garage door through the App. In fact, you can also program the garage door from wherever you are in the world
- Programmable – This model gives you the freedom to preset the timer so the garage door closes at a specific time. Thus, you will never worry about an opened door
- Alarm – In order to add to the safety features, you can add on safety features such as motion sensors, water sensors and notifications
Important Features To Remember
- You will receive 2 remote controls at no extra price
- The build-in light system will ensure that the light travels at the back of the garage
- You can purchase a backup battery
The DC motor will ensure quality throughout the years. Even if you use it extensively, you don’t have to worry about it becoming louder. Some of its design particularities are:
- Belt Drive – This will deliver a smooth operation. The smooth start will adjust the speed gradually at both ends to reduce vibrations and maximize longevity
- LED Light – Even though it has a build-in light system, the LED light has an energy-efficient operation with an extended life cycle
- In-car Remote – You can open or close the garage door from within the car as it’s compatible with your vehicle in-car remote
- Soft start and stop system to reduce wear and tear of the mechanical parts
- Steel-reinforced belt drive system will reduce vibrations
- The rolling code technology will generate a new code each time the door opens
- Made with a programmable timer
- Easy to install by beginners
User guide doesn’t have a troubleshoot section
Due to the fact that it’s one of the best on the market, it will offer a fast operation of 9-inch per second. In addition to this, you can install this system even if you have your bedroom above the garage as it has a silent operation.
7. Genie SilentMax 1200
As the name clearly states it, the SilentMax 1200 is one of the quietest garage door opening systems you could opt for. In case you have a bedroom above the garage, it is ideal for you as the person using that room won’t be awakened by the noise the system makes when you come home in the middle of the night and want to park your car. For those who aren’t yet acquainted with door openers, it is ideal as it boasts a simple set-up, all you have to do to program it according to your preferred settings being to push a button.
Silent and Safe
It uses a steel-reinforced belt drive system which gives it the smooth operation needed to preserve silence when it lifts the door. Some of its particularities are:
- Safe-T-Beam system – As expected, it features the Safe-T-Beam system which employs an infrared beam to detect if objects are in the closing path of the door, preventing it from going down it this is the case
- Intellicode Security – It is accompanied by is the Intellicode Security tech which ensures maximum safety as the access code will be changed with each activation of the opener
- SmartSet – This feature will ensure that the product is easy to install and to set up even if you don’t have any experience
Important Features To Remember
- There is no installation equipment needed to set it up
- You will receive 2 remotes, 1 wall console, and 1 wireless keypad at no extra price
- The opening speed is of 9-inch per second
Build-in Light System
In order to keep you safe and comfortable, this model has been designed with a light system that will keep you safe and protected. Some of its characteristics are:
- Bulbs – The light system is compatible with 2 100-watts bulbs
- Light – The system has been designed so the light will travel towards the back of the garage
- Motion Detector – The motion detector will automatically turn on the overhead lights so you don’t have to do it manually
You will always know the status of this product as you will receive a notification whenever a malfunction occurs. This model should be used for garage doors up to 7 feet in height, being able to lift even 8-foot high doors if you install the optional extension kit. Furthermore, the manufacturing company backs it with a staggering lifetime warranty for the gearbox and the motor.
- Powerful motor enables it to lift doors up to 7 feet high
- Steel-reinforced belt drive system ensures a smooth operation that isn’t noisy
- Features the Safe-T-Beam system which prevents the door from closing on objects
- Intellicode Security tech prevents unauthorized access by changing the access code with each activation
- Easy to program – at the simple touch of a button
Some customers reported that they encountered difficulties when installing the system
As it delivers an opening speed of up to 9 inches per second and has you completely covered when it comes to garage door security due to the many features it comes with, this is the opener we recommend to anyone who is on a budget yet still wants to enjoy an increased sense of security at home.
6. Chamberlain B550
A smart opener that uses the MyQ technology to always keep you updated with the current status of the garage door, the B550 from Chamberlain is one of the best choices you could make. Not only does it enhance the security of your home by making it impossible for intruders to enter it through the garage, but it provides a convenient operation as you can control your garage door from wherever you are through the myQ App.
Innovative Features Integrated
There are two 3-button remote controls included with this garage door opening system. Therefore, even if you don’t have a smartphone, you will be able to control it with ease. Some of its design features are:
- Lift System – The MED lift power system it features enables it to lift 7-foot garage doors without a problem. The 1/2 HP force is one of the highest lifting force in its power class
- Wireless Keypad – There is a wireless keypad on the exterior through which you can gain access inside the garage with the help of a 4-digit code known only by you
- Schedule – You can schedule closing times for the door over the accompanying app
Important Features To Remember
- The remote has an operating range of 1,500 feet
- The app will offer real-time updates and alerts
- Triband technology in the wireless keypad prevents interference
- Extension kit is required for 8 ft. or 10 ft. doors
Safe and Secure
Another great highlight is the security +2.0 which ensures that a hacking of the opening system is impossible as over 100 billion code encryption options are employed. This makes it nearly impossible for hackers to bypass the system. Some of its safety traits are:
- Notifications – You will receive notifications every time the garage door opens, is left open, and it’s closing
- Belt Drive – This has been made from reinforced steel to ensure reliability for many years to come
- Posilock – The anti-theft protection will remain closed once it’s locked
Excellent Customer Service
The manufacturing company backs it with a 10-year warranty on the motor, a 15-year warranty for the belt, and a 1-year warranty for parts and service. This means that if you’re no longer happy with the quality of it, the company will cover the repair costs or exchange it with a new one. Thus, you will have years of service without worrying about additional costs.
- Unmatched security granted as there are over 100 billion code encryption options which protect against hacking
- Can easily open and close 7-foot garage doors
- Over the MyQ app, you can check on the door remotely, and open or close it
- MED lift power system it features makes it one of the most reliable systems at the moment
- Comes with two remote controls that allow you to conveniently open and close the garage door whenever you like
Customer service could be improved
Silent, reliable, and able to open and close 7-foot garage doors without a problem, this Chamberlain system is one of our top recommendations. Its smart profile and the accompanying features make it a modern piece of tech on which you can truly rely for the complete safety of your home.
5. Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower
We’ve included this model on our top because it’s one of the most reliable and popular models on the market these days. Although in comparison to other models it doesn’t have included as many features, it’s still a great option when it comes to keeping your garage out of intruders’ reach. The mechanism is very easy to operate by all the family members and when it comes to performance you can be sure that it won’t disappoint you. Also, another drawback is the short warranty which only covers 5 years for the motor and 1 year for the parts.
Smart And Innovative
An excellent feature of this product is the fact that it can handle doors that weigh up to 300 pounds. In addition to this, the features have been designed to make it impossible for intruders to hijack its system. Some notable features are:
- Rolling Code – As previously stated, it’s impossible for the system to get hacked because every time the door comes down, the remote receives a new code for the next use. This happens automatically each time you open the door
- Superior Safety – If you have curious children or pets that like to wander, you should know that this item is safe for them. It features a beam that shines diagonally and if the light is broken, it will automatically reverse back up and continue when there’s nothing in the way
- Intellitouch – This feature will allow managing how much force the motor should apply to the door. This is a unique feature that is only integrated into this model
The 1/2 horsepower motor operates the chain drive system, being able to hold doors that weight up to 350 ft, without exceeding 7 ft in height. In what concerns the family’s safety, you can rely on the safety beam sensor and the automatic reverse whenever there’s someone or something that interferes when the door closes up. Also, the rolling code will make sure that every time you use the door, the access code is changed so that no one can break the system. Although you can’t program the device for automatic closing in case you forget the door open and it doesn’t’ have a battery backup, the Genie 1022-TH will still make one of the best options on the market.
There aren’t many accessories available for it so you won’t have plenty of choices left. What it does include is a set of remote so not only you will be able to operate the opener, but another driver in the house as well. This feature is an excellent advantage for families with more than one vehicle that benefit from having two separate remotes. For all the other family members who will want to park the car in the garage, there is wall button control that lets them insert the entrance code.
- Built-in safety beam sensor for more safety
- Features rolling code technology
- Soft start and stop
- HomeLink and Car2U comaptibility
- Quiet and easy to install
You can’t purchase any kit for doors higher than 7 ft.
It doesn’t have a battery back-up
There are no motion sensors included or a timer-to-close feature
This system is recommended for smaller doors of maximum 7 ft. height as you don’t have the possibility to buy an extension kit. It runs smoothly and is quite silent for a chain drive system. It’s true that it lacks some features but not the most important ones that ensure safety and security. It is made of high-quality materials and requires less maintenance. We are a little bit disappointed about the warranty as it is shorter in comparison to the other models.
4. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power
Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power is among those products that have become very popular in a very fast time, making it a reliable option for your garage security. In addition to this, it can handle doors that are up to 500 pounds. The chain drive system may be a little noisier than those who use a belt system, but still, you won’t have to worry about weakening up your neighbors.
The greatest thing about this item is the fact that it has an excellent color scheme. It looks stylish and it’s very practical. If you are someone that pays great importance to aesthetics, you should know that this product looks good and it works nearly the same as the rest:
- Three-buttons Remote – At no extra price, you will receive two such remotes which can be very practical if you have a large family. The remotes are easy to use as it only has 3 buttons. It doesn’t get more straightforward than that. Thus, if you have an elderly, they will find it easy to maneuver it
- Safety Sensors– This is a feature that all great models have. This ensures the safety of your children and pets. If the door detects an obstacle, it will simply stop closing. You can also reverse it if it doesn’t detect something is in the way
- Wireless– If you don’t find buttons practical, you should know that this item has also been designed with a wireless keypad. This means that you can manage it through the app. You can open the garage door even if you’re not at home
Powerful Lifting Abilities
Among the great advantages of using this system are the keyless entry pad, the motion-activated light as well as the safety beam sensor and the automatic reverse. Some of its performance features are:
- Wiring – The non-polarized wiring makes the entire installation process much easier and the system is able to function perfectly in extreme weather conditions
- Manual Operation – Unfortunately, the model doesn’t have a battery backup, but you can still open the door in the old-fashioned style with the help of the manual release
- Motor – The 3/4 horsepower motor is very strong, being capable of opening and closing doors of up to 8 ft with the extra extension kit available
The accessories included with the main unit are a three-function wall panel with options for lighting, locking, and opening/closing the opener, a wireless keyless entry pad and two remote controls with three buttons for increased convenience. Also, it comes with optical safety sensors and a 200-watt lighting system. Furthermore, the model has included a detailed user manual that will guide you through the installation process, so you won’t need the help of a professional. All the accessories can be found in the box, the only exception being the light bulbs.
- Rigorously tested for delivering great performance
- Comes with a keyless entry pad
- Whenever it detects motion the lights automatically turn on
- Built-in safety beam sensor for more safety
- Runs smoothly and quietly
No rolling code technology or battery back-up
Lacks a soft start and stop
We recommend this system as it works well and quietly. It is lightweight and easy to install, so you can perform the installation by yourself. We like the fact that it has been thoroughly tested before being available for purchase. The system comes with nice safety and security features but it lacks the rolling code feature. Also, it has no timer-to-close or a battery to ensure its operation in case there’s a power outage.
3. LiftMaster 8550W Elite Series
Another great option for securing your door with one of the top-rated models is LiftMaster 8550W Elite Series. This device will totally impress you with a complete package of features and performance at an affordable price. The 3/4 Horsepower motor will operate doors that weight up to 550 lbs and have a maximum height of 7 ft. The belt drive system is very quiet, making it the perfect choice if you live in a crowded neighborhood. The battery backup will allow you to open the garage up to 40 times in case you have a power shortage, and it recharges automatically when the power is back on.
Safety and Security
Operating this system will be as safe as possible thanks to the safety infrared beam that projects across the base of the door and opens it if anything crosses the beam. You can relax knowing that no child or pet will get trapped under the garage door. Thanks to the Security+ 2.0 system that uses a series of over a billion rolling codes, no one will manage to crack your code and enter the garage while you are away. The control panel of the device has a built-in sensor that turns the lights on the moment you arrive home so you won’t have to wander in the dark.
Important Features To Remember
- You can rely on the timer-to-close function that will automatically close the garage door in case you forget
- The motion sensor that will turn the lights on whenever it senses motion
- You are covered by lifetime warranty on motor and lift system and the 5-year warranty on parts and 1-year warranty on battery
Once the power is back on, the battery automatically recharges, so you don’t have to worry about the next power failure. The 8550 opener is compatible with the MyQ home automation system that lets you control the lights at home and it works with HomeLink if you have a vehicle newer than 2012. You will also enjoy the fact that:
- Battery Backup – The battery backup will allow you to open the garage up to 40 times in case you have a power shortage, and it recharges automatically when the power is back on
- It Detects Obstacles – The device is sensitive to pressure, so if it detects anything before reaching the ground, it will automatically stop closing. Therefore, if you have a pet or child, they will be safe from any dangers
- Timer-to-Close – This feature will allow you to set the time when the door will close. You can set it from a few minutes all the way up to 99 minutes. This is excellent for the people that want to clean out their garage or simply do not want the door to close within a few seconds from opening
The door opener comes with a 3-button remote for convenient control from a distance, and a digital Smart Control Panel that allows you to program the timer and the light duration. This panel also shows the time and temperature, so you can enjoy many other benefits. The product has two 100-watts light bulbs on each side of the main unit for maximum visibility every time you enter your house. The lights stay on for 4.5 minutes before automatically shutting off in order to save energy. What this device lacks is a key-less entry pad, but you can purchase one separately, as well as you can purchase an extra remote control.
- Totally safe as it features a safety beam sensor and soft start and stop technology
- For more safety it includes the rolling code technology and motion sensors
- Compatible with HomeLink and MyQ technology
- It comes with a built-in battery that provides backup in case there’s a power outage
- Convenient timer for ease of mind in case you forget to close the door
There’s no door height extension kit available in case your door is higher than 7 ft.
No keyless entry pad available for this system
You will have to purchase a Gateway if you want to use it with the MyQ home automation system
Great quality and includes all the safety and security settings you’ll need for enjoying the best performance. Besides the control panel you will also receive a remote control but unfortunately, you won’t be able to use it with a keyless entry pad. It comes with a long warranty and is compatible with both HomeLink and MyQ technology. However, you will have to buy a Gateway for using it with MyQ technology. One of the major drawbacks is that there is no kit available for door higher than 7 ft.
2. SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP
This unit is among the best products you can find on the market and although it doesn’t feature a keyless entry pad or a motion-activated light, it’s still very impressive to convince us to take the second place. What is different about the SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP, in comparison to other chain drive models, is the fact that it has only one moving part along the rail, making it less noisy than the traditional ones. Also, the model is strong enough to lift door that weight up to 550 pounds, being powered by a 3/4-horsepower motor. Another great thing that makes this model a very powerful one is the fact that the motor is placed at the door and not on the opener’s back like most openers. Last, but not least, we have to mention that the manufacturer offers for this product a lifetime warranty on motor, lift system and parts, making it the most generous one on the market.
Numerous Safety Features Integrated
Luckily for you, this device features all of the above, to ensure that you feel secure and safe when you are home and have a piece of mind knowing that intruders won’t break in your garage while you are away from home. Some of its safety features are:
- Sensor System – This model comes with a sensor system that stops the moment it senses movement while closing
- Rolling Code System – The rolling code system is a great addition here because it makes it impossible for hackers to learn your code
- Encryption Code – To ensure that the code is not hacked by burglars, the system will use a different code each time the door is closed or opened
The product is suitable for common doors of 7 foot-high, but it also has included a 8 ft. extension kit in case your door is higher. As this model ranks to be one of the best models on the market, you will be pleased to know that it has also been designed with:
- Safety Beam Sensor – It detects a person or objects it automatically stops and lifts the door. This feature is very important because the system will be able to protect all your beloved ones
- Automatic Reverse – This means that if it does detect something, the door will go back up rather than remain in the same position. This is excellent in case of the occurrence of freak accidents
- Rolling Code – It will keep the intruders away because every time the door is used, it uses a different code. Therefore, it will be impossible for them to get inside of the house if they guessed the previous code
The SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 comes with a wall control panel, a pair of infrared light sensors and two thin remotes which give you the option to open and close the door from a distance. We like that you can use the touchpad control system and the remote control to control the garage door from a distance, which makes it highly convenient. The control panel is very easy to use because it doesn’t feature an intricate design. It has only three buttons to open, lock the door or turns on the lights so you won’t even need to read the user manual in order to learn how to use the display panel.
- Features a rolling code system and a safety beam sensor for increased security and safety
- Comes with the longest warranty
- It comes with a built-in battery
- HomeLink compatible
Lacks some features like motion activated light or timer
A little bit slower and louder than other models
It doesn’t work with a keyless entry pad
Well-made and durable. You can control it remotely with the included remote control or from the control panel. The battery back-up is a really helpful addition in case there’s a power outage. Also, it has the longest warranty on the market, the motor, the lift system, and the parts being covered by a lifetime warranty. However, it is not as silent as the other models and it moves slowly. At the same time, there are some features that are not included.
1. Chamberlain WD962KEV Whisper Drive
Chamberlain WD962KEV Whisper Drive is our first recommendation for all those who want to secure their garage by using the latest technology. The 3/4 horsepower is strong enough to handle doors up to 550 pounds and this without disturbing your neighbors. This is possible due to the belt drive system that is similar to a steel-belted tire, making it very silent, just like a whisper. This durable and easy to use device comes with motion sensors, backup lights and almost anything you could have wished from a system like this.
The integrated backup battery allows you to perform up to 20 opening cycles in 24 hours and whenever the battery runs low it will announce you with a beep. However, you can always use the manual release in case you have no other option available. Also, in case your door is higher than 7 ft, you have the possibility to buy the additional 8- or 10-foot extension kit. In addition, you will surely like the timer-to-close feature that will allow you to set a certain timer that will close up the door, or the motion-activated light and the keyless entry pad. Furthermore, the lifetime warranty on motor and lift system and the 5-year warranty on parts will let you enjoy this amazing product for a long period of time.
Smart And Innovative
Some notable features are the safety beam sensor and the automatic reverse, as well as the rolling code and the soft start and stop technology. As well as, you will be pleased to know that this model has:
- Internet Connectivity – This means that you will be able to control the door and lights even if you are not at home. Thus, if someone forgets their key, you will be able to let them inside even if you are very far away
- Posilock – This excellent feature ensures that the door remains firmly shut even if you experience a power cut. In case thieves want to grant themselves access by cutting the power source to your house, the garage door will simply not open regardless how hard they hit it or how much they fiddle with its electricity
- Safe For Children – The door has also been designed with IR beams. This will prevent children and pets from getting squashed by the closing door. Once the beams detect an obstacle, it will stop from closing. Thus, it ensures superior safety.
This powerful door opener can open all kinds of garage doors but what’s important mentioning here is that you will want to buy an 8 or 10-foot extension kit if you have very tall doors that are more than 7 feet tall. This specific model is compatible with the MyQ automation system, which consists of a receiver and transmitter that control mainly your garage door and lighting, but keep in mind that you have to buy the MyQ system separately. Once you have purchased the MyQ automation system, you use the included remote control to control the switches, lighting and so on. With this smart system, you will never find yourself in a dark place because this model features two 100-watt lights that are connected to a switch. Furthermore, the control panel has a motion-detection light sensor to ensure that when you get close to the infrared beam, the light will immediately come on.
- One of the most silent systems on the market
- You can set it to automatically close after several minutes
- Great safety features like the motion activated lights, the rolling code system and the infrared beam
- Comes with a battery backup feature
- Requires little maintenance and you can perform the installation by yourself
The specifications and details for the installation are rather unclear
A little bit slower and louder than other models
It doesn’t work with a keyless entry pad
Well-made and packed with pretty much all the features you need. It can handle heavy doors and it eliminates the hassle of high-maintenance. Extremely quiet and compact. It is easy to use and comes with 2 remote controls and a keyless entry pad. In our opinion this is one of the most versatile and advanced system you can buy at this moment.
Top 5 Products Comparison
|1. Chamberlain WD962KEV||2.SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001||3. LiftMaster 8550W||4. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power||5. Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower|
|The Best||Best Seller||Our Choice|
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Weight||36.9 pounds||40.1 lbs||N/A||32 lbs||38.1 pounds|
|Size||27.2 x 9.7 x 13.1 inches||42 x 10 x 6.5 inches||N/A||26.1 x 12.1 x 9 inches||41 x 11.3 x 7.7 inches|
|Horse Power||3/4 Horsepower||3/4 Horsepower||3/4 Horsepower||3/4 Horsepower||1/2 Horsepower|
|Door Height||7 ft||7 ft||7 ft||7 ft||7 ft|
|Door Height Extension Kit Available|
|Lifting Capacity||550 lbs||550 lbs||550 lbs||N/A||350 lbs|
|Lighting||2×100 Watts||2×60 Watts||2×100 Watts||2×100 Watts||1×75 Watts|
|Keyless Entry Pad|
|Safety Beam Sensor|
|Compatibility||HomeLink, MyQ Technology||HomeLink||HomeLink, MyQ Technology||HomeLink||HomeLink, Car2U|
|Soft Start and Stop Technology|
|Warranty||Lifetime Warranty on Motor and Lift System; 5-Year Warranty on Parts||Lifetime Warranty on Motor, Lift System and Parts||Lifetime Warranty on Motor and Lift System; 5-Year Warranty on Parts; 1-Year Warranty on Battery||Lifetime Warranty on Motor||5-Year Warranty on Motor; 1-Year Warranty on Parts|
When you look for a reliable garage door opener, there are certain things you have to consider, so in this section, we’ll present you some tips that will help you buy the best model for your needs.
- Decide Upon the Drive System
As we’ve already mentioned, there are three types of driving systems: chain drives, belt drives, and screw drives. They all offer great performance, but usually, the most common and accessible ones are the chain drives. At the same time, if you want to use the system without making too much noise and disturb your neighbors, you may want to choose a belt drive. So, make sure that you know what each of the driving systems involves before actually deciding upon a certain model.
- Consider the Power of the Motor
By doing this, you will be able to buy an adequate device for your door. Usually, a 1/2-horsepower motor is capable of handling common doors that weigh no more than 300-350 lbs. Moreover, in case your door is heavier, you will definitely need a 3/4-horsepower motor that will be able to operate the door with less strain. Also, another aspect to consider is how often you use the door because in this case, you may want to opt for a more powerful motor that will enable a smoother operation for a longer period of time.
- Measure the Height of the Door
It’s highly significant that you know the height of the door before you choose a certain model. Usually, most of them are designed for a 7-foot garage door, but in case your door is higher you have to buy an additional extension kit that will work for your door.
- Consider the Features
When it comes to garage door openers, is very important to consider the features of each model. These features are meant to ease your work and they add more convenience and security to your system. Among the best features are the battery backup, the motion-activated light, the safety beam sensor, the rolling code and the timer-to-close. So, read the specifications of each product and see which are the features that will suit your needs. In this way, you will be able to choose a model much easier.
- Don’t Forget About the Warranty
Always check the warranty of a product before you buy it because it’s highly important to make sure that your device will be covered by a generous warranty. Such is the case with garage door openers because although they use intelligent systems, they might fail from time to time. This is why you should be careful and always check the warranty of a product.
The Advantages of Using One
- It Protects Your Garage
One of the main advantages is the fact that it protects your garage. This is also among the most common reasons why people opt for this system. We all have valuable things that we store in our garage, so it’s an act of responsibility to make sure that our personal values are well protected.
- It’s very Convenient
Due to the latest innovations used in this industry, a door opener for your garage will simplify your life more than you think. The various features available will allow you to operate the door using a remote control, to program the system for automatically closing the door after a certain time, or to connect your car to your system in order to operate it. All these conveniences are very helpful and they surely are a big advantage when looking for a great product.
- It’s Very Safe
The latest models on the market are very safe to use for the entire family and they are designed to keep you away from any accidents or injuries. Due to the infrared beam sensor, these systems are able to detect if there’s someone or something on the path, making them to automatically stop and avoid any unpleasant incidents. Therefore, you don’t need to worry anymore about the safety of your kids and family.
- It’s Easy to Maintain
This is a strong construction that is meant to last for a long period of time. For this reason, it doesn’t require too much money for all sorts of little repairs that may occur in time. At the same time, most models are covered by a very generous warranty, so in case the product comes with a manufacturing defect, it will be repaired or replaced by the company.
- It’s Energy Efficient
You may not think so, but an electric door opener doesn’t consume a significant amount of power. It only operates for 15-20 seconds to open or close the door and this happens only several times per day. Also, you should know that when the system is not used, it consumes little power, thus being totally safe for the environment.
Top 3 Brands You Can Trust
1. Chamberlain Group
The Chamberlain Group products are designed to offer safe and stable home control products and they are among the best in this industry. Besides the fact that the company manufactures and sells cost-efficient products, it also uses some of the most innovative systems that are meant to simplify the lives of all those who want to feel safe in their own homes. Their brands of openers, Chamberlain and LiftMaster, are very popular and efficient, being delivered all over the world. Chamberlain is the brand used for selling residential door openers that are designed for do-it-yourself installation, while the LiftMaster brand is known for both residential and commercial door operators that are professionally installed by specialists.
Sommer has been already a well-known brand that is present in more than 90 countries worldwide. The company is located in Europe, but they offer full customer support to all their clients, making sure that all their products are the best choice for their customers. Besides openers, the company is also manufacturing wireless control systems and their high-quality products are always on top due to the fact that they use the latest technology in this industry. Furthermore, all their openers are manufactured in Germany and they all comply with the highest standards.
There are many reasons why the Decko Products company has been present in this industry since 1932. Besides the fact that they invest time and high-quality materials in their products, they provide outstanding services for people all over the world. The company is among the most reliable ones, the proof being the fact that they always stand behind their products and offer support to all their clients.
What’s Behind Our Ratings
There are many aspects to consider when selecting the best garage door openers and this is why here below we will present you which are the most important ones and why they are always worth to consider when it comes to differentiating the many models.
- Drive System
The drive system is highly important when it comes to such systems because it ensures that the door opens appropriately, without any inconveniences. Our products use either chain or belt drive systems and we can say that both of them offer high-performance because they are very similar. The main difference between them is the noise level and since the chain drives use a metal chain along with a metal trolley, they are much noisier. On the other hand, the chain drives are less expensive and very popular among those who want a reliable garage door opener. The belt drives may be a little more expensive, but they are less noisy, making them a perfect solution for those who want to avoid disturbing their neighbors.
The horsepower of an opener represents its capacity to lift the garage door. In general, the 1/2 HP is adequate for most garage doors that weigh up to 350 lbs, while the 3/4-horsepower motor is designed for heavier doors, such as solid wood or metal doors that weight up to 500 lbs.
- Door Height
Another important aspect is the door height. Usually, most doors have a maximum of 7 ft and this is why our products are capable of opening common garage doors that don’t exceed this height. However, there are situations in which the door may be a little higher, so some of the models have a door height extension kit available in order to satisfy all the clients’ needs.
- Remote Control
Remote control will add more convenience in using an opener because you won’t have to get out of the car and open the door to drive the car inside. Therefore, the remote control will help you get into and out of the garage with little effort. Usually, a remote control comes with two or three buttons for opening and closing the door, as well as for controlling the lights.
- Safety Beam Sensor
One of the most common types of sensors used for garage door openers is the infrared beam sensor that comes in two pieces and it’s installed on each side of the door. The result is that every time the beam is crossed by a moving person or object, the opening process stops immediately and automatically reverses in order to avoid any injuries. This feature is very important when it comes to the safety of the entire family.
- Rolling Code
The rolling code is an important security feature that will stop the intruders breaking your garage. Therefore, every time you use the remote to open or close the door the system sends a different code so the chances to record the code are almost impossible.
The warranty is basically an assurance that offers you comfort when using a product. Some manufacturers will offer you a warranty for the entire package, while others only for parts or motor. Therefore, we consider this aspect highly important when it comes to such products.
Q: Is it easy to install?
A: This depends on the specific model at hand. Some door openers, like the ones produced by Chamberlain, which you can install yourself with ease. Just follow the instructions provided in the user manual that accompanies the door opener and you will be done with the procedure in a few hours, depending on how savvy you are. However, there are door openers which specifically require professional installation, the ones produced by LiftMaster being a perfect example.
Q: How can I make sure will not be a nuisance?
A: In case one of the bedrooms is located above the garage, we recommend you go for a belt drive garage door opener as this type produces the least amount of noise when it opens and closes the door. The belts it operates are very flexible and they operate smoothly during these actions, not presenting a nuisance for the inhabitants of the room above.
Q: How does the device help enhance the home security?
A: Top tier openers are accompanied by features that make them ideal installations to make if you want to enhance home security as they block the access of thieves inside your house through the garage. This is a common method for burglars to get in, so you have to consider putting a safety measure in place if you care for your belongings and overall safety as well. some of the innovative features which participate in enhancing home security are – the automatic closing of the door when your car leaves the garage, the remote control you can use to open and close the door while sitting in the car or inside the house, and the rolling code system that generates a different code each time you open or close the door of the garage, thus making it impossible for burglars to crack it.
Q: How does the motor horsepower influence the performance ?
A: The horsepower rating is important and you must look into it when choosing the right door opener for your garage as it indicates the device’s capacity to lift. If your garage door weighs up to 500 pounds, for example, you will need an opener which features a more powerful motor that provides at least 3/4HP, while if your garage door is lighter, you can obviously go lower than this.
Q: Is it an investment worth making?
A: Not only does the garage door opener enhance home security by ensuring break-ins will not occur, especially if you go with a rolling code model, but it provides other advantages that make this purchase quite tempting for all homeowners. First of all, it takes the worry off of your hands as you do not have to think whether you closed the garage door properly before leaving home or not as with a push of a button, the system will handle this task for you. Secondly, it presents a big advantage in terms of convenience. When the bad weather arrives, you do not have to get out of the car and mess up your clothes to open and close the door of the garage when taking the car out, but simply sit in the vehicle and do these tasks with the simple touch of a button.
We must give a special mention to SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP due to the fact that it’s not only safe but also one of the most efficient on the market. This model has been designed with numerous safety features that make it nearly impossible for it to be hacked. In addition to this, it also keeps children and pets safe as it will automatically roll back if the light beam will sense anything in its way. As well as, this comes with a lifetime warranty so in case you’re no longer happy with the quality of it, the company will cover the reparation costs or exchange it with a new unit.
When thinking about such a product, Chamberlain should also be considered. This is why we give a special mention to Chamberlain B550. The reason for this is because this unit has a high lifting force through the 1/2 HP force so you can enter the garage within 2 minutes. In addition to this, it also comes with a useful app where you can see updates right on your smartphone. As well as, the app will also offer you real-time updates. Furthermore, numerous customers all over the world have praised this model because it’s impossible to break through or to bypass the system. Hence, you will feel safe and secure after installing it.
If your bedroom or living space is above the garage, you should consider Genie SilentMax 1200 because it’s one of the most silent models that you can find. The ultra-quiet operation makes it the ideal choice for those that have garages attached to their living space. Even though it has a reinforced steel belt drive system, the unit will ensure that it makes minimal noise while lifting the door fast.