I n simple words, the door openers are motor powered devices that are designed to open and close the garage door. They can be operated manually or by remote controls and they are the best option when it comes to securing the garage. All the openers function by using a specific driving system and there are three types of such systems: chain drives, belt drives, and screw drives.
The main purpose is to keep your car and other valuable items in the garage safe, and this is why they come with all sorts of features that are meant to increase the security of all your valuable things. From battery backup to safety beam sensor and timer-to-close, these innovative devices are not just a convenience, but an investment in your house. Moreover, these home appliances are built to last for many years, allowing you to feel more safe and secure.
- 18. Ryobi GD 200
- 17. Synergy 370
- 16. ATOMS AT-1611
- 15. Genie StealthDrive 7155-TKV
- 14. LiftMaster 8500
- 13. Chamberlain B1381
- 12. Chamberlain MYQ-G0301
- 11. Genie QuietLift Connect
- 10. Craftsman ½ HP Chain Drive
- 9. Chamberlain B970
- 8. Skylink ATOMS AT-1622BK
- 7. Genie SilentMax 1200
- 6. Chamberlain B550
- 5. Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower
- 4. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power
- 3. LiftMaster 8550W Elite Series
- 2. SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP
- 1. Chamberlain B750
- Top 5 Products Comparison
18. Ryobi GD 200
This is an ultra-quiet model that has been designed with a 2 HP motor which means that it can handle doors that are up to 7 ft. Furthermore, the integrated LED light will illuminate your garage for years so you don’t have to worry about continuously changing the light bulbs. Also, you have the option to control and monitor the door opener from your smartphone.
Steel Reinforced Drive
To ensure longevity, thick steel will maintain quality throughout the years. The smooth-rolling of the door is accompanied by a quiet performance so you can install it on the garage doors that are underneath bedrooms. Its design features are:
- Battery Backup – The Lithium-ion battery will ensure that you can utilize the garage door in the event of a power outage up to 100 times
- HomeLink Compatible – With the help of this product, you can smarten up the home
- App – You can control and monitor the garage door from your smartphone
As it offers a 3-parts installation, you can set it up without professional help. Follow the user manual and the instructions video carefully and you can assemble it by yourself.
|Up to 7 ft. high||Belt||2 HP||500 lumens|
To prevent further investment, the company has provided you with all of the tools you need for installation. Thus, inside of the package, you will find the unit, 2 car remotes, wireless keypad, wall control, safety sensors, mounting hardware, and the safety label. The sensors will ensure that your family and pets are safe. In case the sensor is triggered due to something being in the way, the garage door will stop rolling. Hence, nothing will be damaged.
- The app is free to download on Apple and Android phones
- The safety alarm will begin to sound when the sensors are triggered
- It doesn’t require a monthly subscription
- Minimal maintenance required
- Low operational noise
The backup battery is not included
As it comes with its very own app, you can control the unit with ease. The app can also allow you to control a garage door from another home. Another feature that is impressive is the ability to monitor and control the garage door from wherever you are in the world.
17. Synergy 370
This model has been designed with numerous features to provide you with the most for your money. Furthermore, the 3/4 HP motor capacity will lift and close the garage door within seconds. The 500-lumens LED lighting has a life expectancy of over 30,000 hours. Thus, you don’t have to worry about changing the light bulb any time soon. If you purchase an additional LED extension kit, the lights can be extended to 1100 lumens.
Programmable Speed Levels
You have the option to decide how fast the garage door moves. Hence, you can set the speed level up to 9.3-inches per second. What stands out about this model is the fact that the time can be programmed separately for the opening or closing cycles. Its design features are:
- Soft Start/Stop – To prevent the wear and tear of the operating system such as the garage door, operator system, and hardware, it has a slow start and stop
- Multi-bit Code Technology – As the remote control has 2 channels, the security technology will ensure an interference-free performance
- Battery Backup – To ensure that you can use the garage even when the power is out, the system is compatible with a battery back-up installation
Another feature that makes this product stand out from the rest is the fact that the light system doesn’t attract insects. This is excellent news for the people that suffer due to pesky mosquitos and other living things. Furthermore, it has also been designed with a photo eye safety system that is in turn equipped with UV filters to eliminate the possibility of sunlight interference. Thus, offering superior protection.
|Up to 7 ft. high||Belt||3/4 HP||500 lumens|
Low Operational Noise
Like the electric motor, the belt-drive, and the rail work in perfect combination, you will try to figure out if it’s working properly. The truth is that this model is one of the quietest on the market as the operational noises are completely eliminated. Therefore, you can install it if you have living space above your garage. Its particularities are:
- Auto-sensitivity – The door will calculate how fast it should close according to its surroundings
- HomeLink Compatible – Control the garage door from inside of your car or through the help of your smartphone
- LCD – The user-friendly design will allow you to adjust the settings according to your specific needs
It’s essential to mention that this model comes with a limited lifetime warranty on parts such as the motor, gears, and rail. Thus, if it damages due to the workmanship, you can benefit from a free exchange or the company will cover the repair costs.
- The LED light has a life expectancy of 30,000 hours
- Low operational noise will not distract you or the neighbors
- It doesn’t require thorough maintenance
- Excellent customer service
- Suitable for heavy-duty doors
The backup battery is not included
With a pull and push force of up to 850 newtons, you can rely on this heavy-duty opener to provide you with a fast operation. As you can program how fast or slow it should close, you can adjust this product according to your particular needs.
16. ATOMS AT-1611
Similarly, with the other models, this unit has been designed with a silent DC motor that will ensure not only a quiet operation but also a fast one. In addition to this, reliable performance will also be ensured by the chain drive. Hence, you can use this if you have the bedroom or nursery attached to the garage.
This feature will gradually accelerate the speed until it reaches its maximum force. Then, it will slow down before stopping. This will limit vibrations and provide better longevity. Its design features are:
- LED Light – The LED will ensure long-lasting illumination so you can use the garage door even in complete darkness
- Safety Sensors – The sensors will prevent the door from closing if the beam has sensed something in the way
- Rolling Code – To prevent unwanted access, the remote has been designed with this safety feature that will change the code after every use
Due to the fact that it has LED light, you don’t have to worry about changing the light bulbs. As all mounting hardware is included, it means that you don’t have to invest further.
|Single or double up to 7 ft.||Chain||1/2 HP||12-watts|
You will be able to control the garage door straight from your car. Hence, you don’t have to use the remote control. Nonetheless, if you wish, you have the option to opt for the smartphone control hub, at an additional price. Also, for an extra amount, you can also purchase a backup battery. This will allow you to control the garage door even after a power outage.
Nonetheless, at no extra price, you will receive all of the mounting hardware you need for a DIY installation. So, inside of the package, you will find, sectional chain drive rail assembly, infrared safety sensors, and 1 remote control with a push button.
- The LED light has a capacity of 12-watts
- The chain drive will ensure a vibrations-free operation
- The DC motor is quiet
- It comes with an installation video for DIY enthusiasts
- Suitable for single/double doors
The backup battery is not included
If you have an attached garage door to your bedroom, we thoroughly recommend this product. The In comparison, with the other models, it comes with a diagnostic LCD which means that you will know exactly what is wrong with the unit. Hence, no need to call a professional.
15. Genie StealthDrive 7155-TKV
Designed with a ¼ HPC DC motor and steel-reinforced belt drive, this model is suitable for those that have bedrooms or nursery rooms attached to the garage. Furthermore, the 5-piece rail system will snap together for easy installation, so, you don’t have to spend money further. Additionally, the remoted are pre-programmed which means that you can use it straight out of the box.
Alexa and Google Assistant Compatible
This smart garage system has Aladdin Connect technology which will allow you to monitor and control the garage door from anywhere by using your smartphone. Download the free app and follow the instructions that will allow you to connect to your smart home. It’s functions are:
- Users – Add up to 20 additional users to one account so they, in turn, can adjust the garage door
- Schedule – You can either open or close the garage door according to your specific schedule
- Notifications – You will instantly know when the door is being used as you will receive a notification on your device
If your hands are full, you can also use your voice to close or open the garage door. As this feature is already built-in, you don’t have to worry about programming.
|Up to 8 ft. high and up to 500 lb.||Belt||1/4 HP||60-watts|
To ensure security, a new access code is generated for every door activation. The code is chosen from billions of combinations that will prevent unauthorized access. This extra layer of security will keep you safe even in case of a power outage. Its particularities are:
- Auto-Seek Dual Frequency – This feature will automatically search for the best frequency to ensure a fast response
- HomeLink – Open the garage door from the car before you pull up to your garage door
- Safe-T-Beam – The safety sensors will ensure the family’s safety as it has an infrared beam of light across the door opening
It’s important to mention that by considering this model, you will receive numerous accessories. Inside the package, you will find the pre-programmed 3-button remotes, wireless keypad with pin, multi-functional wall console with vacation lock and a light control button.
- Easy to install by those without experience
- The app can be downloaded for free
- All installation products are included
- Designed with multiple safety sensors
- Compatible with Google Assistent or Alexa
Not suitable for heavier doors
By considering this model, you don’t have to invest further. All of the accessories are included in the package so you can get the most for your money. In addition to this, the high-capacity back up battery will allow you to use the garage door up to 50 times.
14. LiftMaster 8500
In case you have limited space in your garage, this is the right model for your needs. The sleek and space-saving design of this unit will free up ceiling space. If you’re someone that enjoys minimalism this should be the right choice. Furthermore, this is also suitable for those that are looking for a noise-less model as this will run ultra-quiet so it will eliminate all vibrations and sounds through the ceiling. Even though it’s extremely quiet, the power lock deadbolt will prevent forced entries from intruders.
Motion Detector Sensors
Similarly, to the other units mentioned, this also comes with a light system. The sensors will detect movement and the lights will come on as soon as the sensors are activated. Enjoy uninterrupted light from corner-to-corner. Some of its design features are:
- myQ – Open/close the garage door wherever you are through the downloadable app on your smartphone
- Motor – The DC motor has a torque power equivalent to 3/4 HP
- Programmable – Program up to 4 remotes to control the garage door
|Up to 18 ft. high and up to 650 lb.||Front-mount torsion spring||DC motor||200-watts|
Included Safety Sensors
You will feel safe by having this model installed because of the included sensors. Such sensors will prevent the door from closing if something is in the way. The integrated light will beam across the the opening to ensure that there’s nothing there while the garage door is closing. Furthermore, it will also emit visual and audio warnings when the door is about to close.
- Easy to install by beginners
- Cable tension monitor included
- Designed with a manual release in case of a power outage
- Programmable to close at different time intervals
- Energy efficient operation
Extension kit needs to be purchased to connect to HomeLink
By considering this unit you don’t have to invest further because it comes with everything you need to easily set it up. Hence, inside of the package you will receive the unit, 2 remote controls, wall push button, and light system.
13. Chamberlain B1381
This smart unit will not only deliver durability but also the security you need to keep your home safe. It has an industry-leading design so you can experience precision-engineered performance. Hence, the incorporated MAX lift power will allow it to power heavy doors as it has a force equivalent to 1-1/4 HP. The effortless lifting and reliable performance will bring you years of use without having to invest further.
Ultra-quiet and Smooth
The steel-reinforced belt means that you can use this unit for attached garages. Thus, if you have the bedroom or living space above the garage, you will not be distracted by noises. Some of its design features are:
- LED Lighting – Through the 3,100 lumens of LED light the whole garage will be filled with light
- myQ – Open the door from anywhere through the myQ app on your smartphone
- Control Panel – The wireless panel doesn’t require extensive installment as it doesn’t have wires
|Up to 7 ft. high||Belt||1-1/4 HP||3,100 lumens|
Backup Battery Incorporated
In case you’ve experienced a power outage, the backup battery will come into play. Therefore, you can open and close the garage door even when the power is out. Furthermore, the light system will also function for as long as you need it to. Regardless, if you require for the light system to be on for a long period of time, use the wall monitor to adjust the length of time.
- Numerous accessories included at no extra price
- The app comes for free
- The light system detects movement
- Designed with multiple safety sensors
- Open/close the door from anywhere
Not compatible with Alexa or Google Home
You can purchase the unit with confidence because it comes with generous warranty periods. So, you will receive lifetime warranty on motor, lifetime on belt, 5-years on parts, and 1-year for accessories. Hence, if it doesn’t work according to your expectations, the company will cover the repair costs or replace the parts with new ones.
12. Chamberlain MYQ-G0301
Another smart garage opener is provided by the industry-leading brand. Due to its smart features, you will be able to open and close it from anywhere by using your smartphone. MyQ app is for free and it can be downloaded regardless if you have an Apple or Samsung device. In addition to this, the easy-to-follow instruction will allow you to set it up without professional help. Best of all, this particular unit is available for in-garage delivery so you will be ensured that the package doesn’t go missing or damaged in transit.
You will know what is going on with the garage 24/7. This is because you will get alerted whenever the garage is opened, closed, or if it’s left opened. Thus, you no longer have to worry for the whole day if you’ve left your garage opened. Some of its design features are:
- Smart – Open or close the garage from your smartphone
- Shared – You can invite up to 3 people to have access to the control system of the uni
- IFTTT – Create a customized schedule to fit your particular needs
- Voice-enabled – Use Google Home to open or close the garage door
|Chamberlain, LiftMaster, Craftsman, and Genie||Smart Hub||Smartphone, Alexa, Google Home||1-year|
Come home to a lit home or turn your lights on when the garage door is opened through the WINK app. Furthermore, inside the package, you will find the Wi-Fi Hub, door sensor, power adapter, and mounting hardware. Therefore, you don’t have to invest further. In fact, the batteries are also included.
Perhaps, what stands out about this garage door opener is the fact that you can control 2 different doors from your app. As long as there’s Wi-Fi and the hub is connected, you can open a garage door for a different house, in a different state.
- End-to-end encryption to keep data safe
- The app comes for free
- Designed with a light system
- You can give access to multiple users
- It works with more than 1 door
You need a smartphone to control it
Perhaps, the reason why this sells so well is because people enjoy the fact that they get to know everything that is going on with the garage door. Additionally, this particular model is available with in-garage delivery so it’s impossible for it to get stolen.
11. Genie QuietLift Connect
Do you have an attached living space to your garage? If so, you should consider this model. The reason for this is because this has a quiet operation which means that you won’t be distracted by noises or vibrations while it’s operating. In addition to this, you will be able to control the unit wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. In fact, it comes with Wi-Fi built-in so you will not need to worry about professionals helping you to set it up.
Alexa and Google Assistant Compatible
You don’t need a key or a smartphone to control this particular unit. If you have voice assistants in your home, connect this unit to it too. So, you can use only your voice to control it. Some of its design features are:
- Genie Aladdin Connect – Through the free app, you can set up virtual keys for individuals users so they can control the garage opener as well
- Intellicode Rolling Code – This technology will prevent unauthorized people to gain access by bypassing the system
- Safety Sensors – If the infrared beam detects an object in the way when coming down, it will automatically reverse back up
|Up to 7 ft. high and up to 500 lb.||Belt||3/4 HP||60-watts|
The 5-piece rail system snaps together so you can set up even if you have limited mobility. In addition to this, there’s no hardware needed to install it. Hence, you don’t have to invest further. Equally important, the included remotes are pre-programmed which means that you can use them straight after installing the garage door opener. Some of its convenience features are:
- HomeLink compatible – The garage door will open as you approach the garage
- Accessories – Inside the package, you will find 2 remotes, wall console, and 1 wireless keypad
- Vacation Lock – Permanently shut down the garage door until you enable it again
- Extension kit available
- Lifetime warranty on motor
- Designed with a light system
- Numerous accessories included
- Control the unit from your car, smartphone, or by voice
Batteries are not included
One of the main reasons why this sells so well is because the warranty period is generous. As mentioned above, this unit comes with limited lifetime warranty for the motor, 15-years on belt, 5-years on parts, and 1-year on accessories.
10. Craftsman ½ HP Chain Drive
If you want years of dependable service, this is a great model to consider. This unit has the ability to lift residential garage doors up to 7 feet high. In addition to this, if you read the instructions booklet provided, you can program the car to open the garage door with the help of this product. Otherwise, you can download the app and you can use your smartphone to control it. Furthermore, you can also use the keypad to enter a 4-digit code to access your garage.
Tri-Frequency Radio System
Even though you have smart devices in your home, you don’t have to worry about interference from other appliances. The smart radio system will virtually eliminate such an effect. So, you can access the garage every time even if you’re at a distance. Some of its design features are:
- Anti-burglary – The coding technology will provide secure operation as the system is impossible to bypass
- Safety reversing sensors – If the sensors detect something in the way when going down, it will automatically reverse back up
- Interface monitors – It will automatically adjust the force required to open and close the garage door during temperature fluctuations
|Up to 7 ft. high||Chain||1/2 HP||75-watts|
Sleep Mode Uses 1-watt
Such a product will not leave a big hole in your pocket. As it’s obvious that you won’t use it more than 10 times per day, it will stay a lot on standby. Hence, when it’s on this mode, it will only consume 1-watt of power. Some of its convenience features are:
- Light – The power unit is equipped with 2 light lenses so your garage will be lit when entering
- Remote control – The 2 3-functions plus Security+2.0 remote control will prevent it from being hacked
- HomeLink compatible
- Wireless operation means that you don’t need a key
- Energy efficient operation
- Designed with a light system
- Made with numerous safety settings
- Control the unit from your car
The operation is often described as noisy
Best of all, all the hardware that you need to install is included in the package at no extra price. This means that you don’t need to invest further if you don’t want to. However, if you want to connect it with AssureLink, you will need to make an extra purchase.
9. Chamberlain B970
This smart garage door opener will allow you to operate it anywhere you are through the smart myQ app. This ultra-quiet yet strong reinforced-steel belt drive will keep quality throughout the years. Best of all, through the app, you will receive real-time alerts, know the status of the door, and open/close the garage door even if you’re in a distance from home. Also, the anti-vibration capacity means that you can install this unit beneath a bedroom as you won’t be distracted by noises while it’s operating.
Highest Lifting Force In The Industry
Through the max lift power system, this unit has a lifting force equivalent to 1 ¼ HP. This means that even when the garage door is frozen to the ground, the unit can still lift it. In addition to this, the machine is weatherproof as it will operate in excessive heat, cold, and humidity. Some of its design features are:
- Triband Technology – The remote range is of 1,500 feet for a faster entrance and exit
- Battery Backup – You can open/close the garage door even during power shortages
- Posi-lock – The anti-theft protection will offer protection to stop forced entry attempts
|Up to 7 ft. high||Belt||1.25 HP||75-watts|
100 Billion Encryption Codes
This machine offers superior safety as it has been designed with unmatched security. The 100 Billion encryption codes means that it prevents hackers from overriding the system. As well as, it anti-theft protection makes it impossible for thieves to enter the home through the garage. Some of its particularities are:
- Motion Detectors – Once the control panel detects movement, it will automatically turn on the lights
- Wireless Keypad – Enter a unique 4-digit code for easy access without a remote control or app
- Safety Sensors – The invisible light beam across the garage door will automatically reverse the door if anything interrupts the beam
- Soft start and stop system so it can be installed beneath a bedroom
- Steel-reinforced belt drive system will reduce vibrations
- Designed with a light system
- Made with a programmable settings
- The app will offer real-time alerts
Limited warranty period
As you can see above, it’s clear to notice that this unit has been made in order to provide convenience regardless of the type of garage you have. As well as, it has been designed with the highest level of encryption and safety so it prevents hackers and thieves from attacking your home.
If you’re looking for a silent model that will also ensure a fast and smooth operation, this is a great model to consider. If your garage is below a living space such as a bedroom, you should consider this machine. The 1/2 HP motor will raise the door with limited vibrations. Even if this is your first garage door opener, you will be able to set it up with ease. Each head unit has been designed with a numeric display so you can follow each installation step with ease. Additionally, you can also follow the online videos or step by step guide developed by US experts.
Smart Features Integrated
You can rely on this product for numerous years to come as it will provide the same high quality throughout the years. Some of its particularities are:
- Skylink Connectivity – You can have full control over the garage door through the App. In fact, you can also program the garage door from wherever you are in the world
- Programmable – This model gives you the freedom to preset the timer so the garage door closes at a specific time. Thus, you will never worry about an opened door
- Alarm – In order to add to the safety features, you can add on safety features such as motion sensors, water sensors and notifications
|Up to 7 ft. high||Belt||1/2 HP||12-watts|
The DC motor will ensure quality throughout the years. Even if you use it extensively, you don’t have to worry about it becoming louder. Some of its design particularities are:
- Belt Drive – This will deliver a smooth operation. The smooth start will adjust the speed gradually at both ends to reduce vibrations and maximize longevity
- LED Light – Even though it has a build-in light system, the LED light has an energy-efficient operation with an extended life cycle
- In-car Remote – You can open or close the garage door from within the car as it’s compatible with your vehicle in-car remote
- Soft start and stop system to reduce wear and tear of the mechanical parts
- Steel-reinforced belt drive system will reduce vibrations
- The rolling code technology will generate a new code each time the door opens
- Made with a programmable timer
- Easy to install by beginners
User guide doesn’t have a troubleshoot section
Due to the fact that it’s one of the best on the market, it will offer a fast operation of 9-inch per second. In addition to this, you can install this system even if you have your bedroom above the garage as it has a silent operation.
7. Genie SilentMax 1200
As the name clearly states, the SilentMax 1200 is one of the quietest garage door opening systems you could opt for. In case you have a bedroom above the garage, it is ideal for you as the person using that room won’t be awakened by the noise the system makes when you come home in the middle of the night and want to park your car. For those who aren’t yet acquainted with door openers, it is ideal as it boasts a simple set-up, all you have to do to program it according to your preferred settings being to push a button.
Silent and Safe
It uses a steel-reinforced belt drive system which gives it the smooth operation needed to preserve silence when it lifts the door. Some of its particularities are:
- Safe-T-Beam system – As expected, it features the Safe-T-Beam system which employs an infrared beam to detect if objects are in the closing path of the door, preventing it from going down it this is the case
- Intellicode Security – It is accompanied by is the Intellicode Security tech which ensures maximum safety as the access code will be changed with each activation of the opener
- SmartSet – This feature will ensure that the product is easy to install and to set up even if you don’t have any experience
|Up to 7 ft. high||9-inch/second||140V DC Motor||100-watts|
Build-in Light System
In order to keep you safe and comfortable, this model has been designed with a light system that will keep you safe and protected. Some of its characteristics are:
- Bulbs – The light system is compatible with 2 100-watts bulbs
- Light – The system has been designed so the light will travel towards the back of the garage
- Motion Detector – The motion detector will automatically turn on the overhead lights so you don’t have to do it manually
You will always know the status of this product as you will receive a notification whenever a malfunction occurs. This model should be used for garage doors up to 7 feet in height, being able to lift even 8-foot high doors if you install the optional extension kit. Furthermore, the manufacturing company backs it with a staggering lifetime warranty for the gearbox and the motor.
- Powerful motor enables it to lift doors up to 7 feet high
- Steel-reinforced belt drive system ensures a smooth operation that isn’t noisy
- Features the Safe-T-Beam system which prevents the door from closing on objects
- Intellicode Security tech prevents unauthorized access by changing the access code with each activation
- Easy to program – at the simple touch of a button
Some customers reported that they encountered difficulties when installing the system
As it delivers an opening speed of up to 9 inches per second and has you completely covered when it comes to garage door security due to the many features it comes with, this is the opener we recommend to anyone who is on a budget yet still wants to enjoy an increased sense of security at home.
6. Chamberlain B550
A smart opener that uses the MyQ technology to always keep you updated with the current status of the garage door, the B550 from Chamberlain is one of the best choices you could make. Not only does it enhance the security of your home by making it impossible for intruders to enter it through the garage, but it provides a convenient operation as you can control your garage door from wherever you are through the myQ App.
Innovative Features Integrated
There are two 3-button remote controls included with this garage door opening system. Therefore, even if you don’t have a smartphone, you will be able to control it with ease. Some of its design features are:
- Lift System – The MED lift power system it features enables it to lift 7-foot garage doors without a problem. The 1/2 HP force is one of the highest lifting force in its power class
- Wireless Keypad – There is a wireless keypad on the exterior through which you can gain access inside the garage with the help of a 4-digit code known only by you
- Schedule – You can schedule closing times for the door over the accompanying app
|Up to 7 ft. high||Belt||1/2 HP||26-watts|
Safe and Secure
Another great highlight is the security +2.0 which ensures that a hacking of the opening system is impossible as over 100 billion code encryption options are employed. This makes it nearly impossible for hackers to bypass the system. Some of its safety traits are:
- Notifications – You will receive notifications every time the garage door opens, is left open, and it’s closing
- Belt Drive – This has been made from reinforced steel to ensure reliability for many years to come
- Posilock – The anti-theft protection will remain closed once it’s locked
Excellent Customer Service
The manufacturing company backs it with a 10-year warranty on the motor, a 15-year warranty for the belt, and a 1-year warranty for parts and service. This means that if you’re no longer happy with the quality of it, the company will cover the repair costs or exchange it with a new one. Thus, you will have years of service without worrying about additional costs.
- Unmatched security granted as there are over 100 billion code encryption options which protect against hacking
- Can easily open and close 7-foot garage doors
- Over the MyQ app, you can check on the door remotely, and open or close it
- MED lift power system it features makes it one of the most reliable systems at the moment
- Comes with two remote controls that allow you to conveniently open and close the garage door whenever you like
Customer service could be improved
Silent, reliable, and able to open and close 7-foot garage doors without a problem, this Chamberlain system is one of our top recommendations. Its smart profile and the accompanying features make it a modern piece of tech on which you can truly rely for the complete safety of your home.
5. Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower
We’ve included this model on our top because it’s one of the most reliable and popular models on the market these days. Although in comparison to other models it doesn’t have included as many features, it’s still a great option when it comes to keeping your garage out of intruders’ reach. The mechanism is very easy to operate by all the family members and when it comes to performance you can be sure that it won’t disappoint you. Also, another drawback is the short warranty which only covers 5 years for the motor and 1 year for the parts.
Smart And Innovative
An excellent feature of this product is the fact that it can handle doors that weigh up to 300 pounds. In addition to this, the features have been designed to make it impossible for intruders to hijack its system. Some notable features are:
- Rolling Code – As previously stated, it’s impossible for the system to get hacked because every time the door comes down, the remote receives a new code for the next use. This happens automatically each time you open the door
- Superior Safety – If you have curious children or pets that like to wander, you should know that this item is safe for them. It features a beam that shines diagonally and if the light is broken, it will automatically reverse back up and continue when there’s nothing in the way
- Intellitouch – This feature will allow managing how much force the motor should apply to the door. This is a unique feature that is only integrated into this model
|Up to 7 ft. high and up to 350 lb.||Chain||1/2 HP||75-watts|
The 1/2 horsepower motor operates the chain drive system, being able to hold doors that weight up to 350 ft, without exceeding 7 ft in height. In what concerns the family’s safety, you can rely on the safety beam sensor and the automatic reverse whenever there’s someone or something that interferes when the door closes up. Also, the rolling code will make sure that every time you use the door, the access code is changed so that no one can break the system. Although you can’t program the device for automatic closing in case you forget the door open and it doesn’t’ have a battery backup, the Genie 1022-TH will still make one of the best options on the market.
There aren’t many accessories available for it so you won’t have plenty of choices left. What it does include is a set of remote so not only you will be able to operate the opener, but another driver in the house as well. This feature is an excellent advantage for families with more than one vehicle that benefit from having two separate remotes. For all the other family members who will want to park the car in the garage, there is wall button control that lets them insert the entrance code.
- Built-in safety beam sensor for more safety
- Features rolling code technology
- Soft start and stop
- HomeLink and Car2U comaptibility
- Quiet and easy to install
You can’t purchase any kit for doors higher than 7 ft.
It doesn’t have a battery back-up
There are no motion sensors included or a timer-to-close feature
This system is recommended for smaller doors of maximum 7 ft. height as you don’t have the possibility to buy an extension kit. It runs smoothly and is quite silent for a chain drive system. It’s true that it lacks some features but not the most important ones that ensure safety and security. It is made of high-quality materials and requires less maintenance. We are a little bit disappointed about the warranty as it is shorter in comparison to the other models.
4. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power
Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power is among those products that have become very popular in a very fast time, making it a reliable option for your garage security. In addition to this, it can handle doors that are up to 500 pounds. The chain drive system may be a little noisier than those who use a belt system, but still, you won’t have to worry about weakening up your neighbors.
The greatest thing about this item is the fact that it has an excellent color scheme. It looks stylish and it’s very practical. If you are someone that pays great importance to aesthetics, you should know that this product looks good and it works nearly the same as the rest:
- Three-buttons Remote – At no extra price, you will receive two such remotes which can be very practical if you have a large family. The remotes are easy to use as it only has 3 buttons. It doesn’t get more straightforward than that. Thus, if you have an elderly, they will find it easy to maneuver it
- Safety Sensors– This is a feature that all great models have. This ensures the safety of your children and pets. If the door detects an obstacle, it will simply stop closing. You can also reverse it if it doesn’t detect something is in the way
- Wireless– If you don’t find buttons practical, you should know that this item has also been designed with a wireless keypad. This means that you can manage it through the app. You can open the garage door even if you’re not at home
Powerful Lifting Abilities
Among the great advantages of using this system are the keyless entry pad, the motion-activated light as well as the safety beam sensor and the automatic reverse. Some of its performance features are:
- Wiring – The non-polarized wiring makes the entire installation process much easier and the system is able to function perfectly in extreme weather conditions
- Manual Operation – Unfortunately, the model doesn’t have a battery backup, but you can still open the door in the old-fashioned style with the help of the manual release
- Motor – The 3/4 horsepower motor is very strong, being capable of opening and closing doors of up to 8 ft with the extra extension kit available
|Up to 7 ft. high and 18 ft wide||Chain||3/4 HP||200-watts|
The accessories included with the main unit are a three-function wall panel with options for lighting, locking, and opening/closing the opener, a wireless keyless entry pad and two remote controls with three buttons for increased convenience. Also, it comes with optical safety sensors and a 200-watt lighting system. Furthermore, the model has included a detailed user manual that will guide you through the installation process, so you won’t need the help of a professional. All the accessories can be found in the box, the only exception being the light bulbs.
- Rigorously tested for delivering great performance
- Comes with a keyless entry pad
- Whenever it detects motion the lights automatically turn on
- Built-in safety beam sensor for more safety
- Runs smoothly and quietly
No rolling code technology or battery back-up
Lacks a soft start and stop
We recommend this system as it works well and quietly. It is lightweight and easy to install, so you can perform the installation by yourself. We like the fact that it has been thoroughly tested before being available for purchase. The system comes with nice safety and security features but it lacks the rolling code feature. Also, it has no timer-to-close or a battery to ensure its operation in case there’s a power outage.
3. LiftMaster 8550W Elite Series
Another great option for securing your door with one of the top-rated models is LiftMaster 8550W Elite Series. This device will totally impress you with a complete package of features and performance at an affordable price. The 3/4 Horsepower motor will operate doors that weight up to 550 lbs and have a maximum height of 7 ft. The belt drive system is very quiet, making it the perfect choice if you live in a crowded neighborhood. The battery backup will allow you to open the garage up to 40 times in case you have a power shortage, and it recharges automatically when the power is back on.
Safety and Security
Operating this system will be as safe as possible thanks to the safety infrared beam that projects across the base of the door and opens it if anything crosses the beam. You can relax knowing that no child or pet will get trapped under the garage door. Thanks to the Security+ 2.0 system that uses a series of over a billion rolling codes, no one will manage to crack your code and enter the garage while you are away. The control panel of the device has a built-in sensor that turns the lights on the moment you arrive home so you won’t have to wander in the dark.
|Up to 7 ft. high and up to 550 lb||Belt||3/4 HP||100-watts|
Once the power is back on, the battery automatically recharges, so you don’t have to worry about the next power failure. The 8550 opener is compatible with the MyQ home automation system that lets you control the lights at home and it works with HomeLink if you have a vehicle newer than 2012. You will also enjoy the fact that:
- Battery Backup – The battery backup will allow you to open the garage up to 40 times in case you have a power shortage, and it recharges automatically when the power is back on
- It Detects Obstacles – The device is sensitive to pressure, so if it detects anything before reaching the ground, it will automatically stop closing. Therefore, if you have a pet or child, they will be safe from any dangers
- Timer-to-Close – This feature will allow you to set the time when the door will close. You can set it from a few minutes all the way up to 99 minutes. This is excellent for the people that want to clean out their garage or simply do not want the door to close within a few seconds from opening
The door opener comes with a 3-button remote for convenient control from a distance, and a digital Smart Control Panel that allows you to program the timer and the light duration. This panel also shows the time and temperature, so you can enjoy many other benefits. The product has two 100-watts light bulbs on each side of the main unit for maximum visibility every time you enter your house. The lights stay on for 4.5 minutes before automatically shutting off in order to save energy. What this device lacks is a key-less entry pad, but you can purchase one separately, as well as you can purchase an extra remote control.
- Totally safe as it features a safety beam sensor and soft start and stop technology
- For more safety it includes the rolling code technology and motion sensors
- Compatible with HomeLink and MyQ technology
- It comes with a built-in battery that provides backup in case there’s a power outage
- Convenient timer for ease of mind in case you forget to close the door
There’s no door height extension kit available in case your door is higher than 7 ft.
No keyless entry pad available for this system
You will have to purchase a Gateway if you want to use it with the MyQ home automation system
Great quality and includes all the safety and security settings you’ll need for enjoying the best performance. Besides the control panel, you will also receive a remote control but unfortunately, you won’t be able to use it with a keyless entry pad. It comes with a long warranty and is compatible with both HomeLink and MyQ technology. However, you will have to buy a Gateway for using it with MyQ technology. One of the major drawbacks is that there is no kit available for door higher than 7 ft.
2. SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP
This unit is among the best products you can find on the market and although it doesn’t feature a keyless entry pad or a motion-activated light, it’s still very impressive to convince us to take the second place. What is different about the SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 3/4 HP, in comparison to other chain drive models, is the fact that it has only one moving part along the rail, making it less noisy than the traditional ones. Also, the model is strong enough to lift the door that weight up to 550 pounds, being powered by a 3/4-horsepower motor. Another great thing that makes this model a very powerful one is the fact that the motor is placed at the door and not on the opener’s back like most openers. Last, but not least, we have to mention that the manufacturer offers for this product a lifetime warranty on motor, lift system and parts, making it the most generous one on the market.
Numerous Safety Features Integrated
Luckily for you, this device features all of the above, to ensure that you feel secure and safe when you are home and have a piece of mind knowing that intruders won’t break in your garage while you are away from home. Some of its safety features are:
- Sensor System – This model comes with a sensor system that stops the moment it senses movement while closing
- Rolling Code System – The rolling code system is a great addition here because it makes it impossible for hackers to learn your code
- Encryption Code – To ensure that the code is not hacked by burglars, the system will use a different code each time the door is closed or opened
|Up to 7 ft. high||Direct Drive||3/4 HP||60-watts|
The product is suitable for common doors of 7 foot-high, but it also has included a 8 ft. extension kit in case your door is higher. As this model ranks to be one of the best models on the market, you will be pleased to know that it has also been designed with:
- Safety Beam Sensor – It detects a person or objects it automatically stops and lifts the door. This feature is very important because the system will be able to protect all your beloved ones
- Automatic Reverse – This means that if it does detect something, the door will go back up rather than remain in the same position. This is excellent in case of the occurrence of freak accidents
- Rolling Code – It will keep the intruders away because every time the door is used, it uses a different code. Therefore, it will be impossible for them to get inside of the house if they guessed the previous code
The SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001 comes with a wall control panel, a pair of infrared light sensors and two thin remotes which give you the option to open and close the door from a distance. We like that you can use the touchpad control system and the remote control to control the garage door from a distance, which makes it highly convenient. The control panel is very easy to use because it doesn’t feature an intricate design. It has only three buttons to open, lock the door or turns on the lights so you won’t even need to read the user manual in order to learn how to use the display panel.
- Features a rolling code system and a safety beam sensor for increased security and safety
- Comes with the longest warranty
- It comes with a built-in battery
- HomeLink compatible
Lacks some features like motion activated light or timer
A little bit slower and louder than other models
It doesn’t work with a keyless entry pad
Well-made and durable. You can control it remotely with the included remote control or from the control panel. The battery back-up is a really helpful addition in case there’s a power outage. Also, it has the longest warranty on the market, the motor, the lift system, and the parts being covered by a lifetime warranty. However, it is not as silent as the other models and it moves slowly. At the same time, there are some features that are not included.
1. Chamberlain B750
Chamberlain WD962KEV Whisper Drive is our first recommendation for all those who want to secure their garage by using the latest technology. The 3/4 horsepower is strong enough to handle doors up to 550 pounds and this without disturbing your neighbors. This is possible due to the belt drive system that is similar to a steel-belted tire, making it very silent, just like a whisper. This durable and easy to use device comes with motion sensors, backup lights and almost anything you could have wished from a system like this.
The integrated backup battery allows you to perform up to 20 opening cycles in 24 hours and whenever the battery runs low it will announce you with a beep. However, you can always use the manual release in case you have no other option available. Also, in case your door is higher than 7 ft, you have the possibility to buy the additional 8- or 10-foot extension kit. In addition, you will surely like the timer-to-close feature that will allow you to set a certain timer that will close up the door, or the motion-activated light and the keyless entry pad. Furthermore, the lifetime warranty on motor and lift system and the 5-year warranty on parts will let you enjoy this amazing product for a long period of time.
Smart And Innovative
Some notable features are the safety beam sensor and the automatic reverse, as well as the rolling code and the soft start and stop technology. As well as, you will be pleased to know that this model has:
- Internet Connectivity – This means that you will be able to control the door and lights even if you are not at home. Thus, if someone forgets their key, you will be able to let them inside even if you are very far away
- Posilock – This excellent feature ensures that the door remains firmly shut even if you experience a power cut. In case thieves want to grant themselves access by cutting the power source to your house, the garage door will simply not open regardless how hard they hit it or how much they fiddle with its electricity
- Safe For Children – The door has also been designed with IR beams. This will prevent children and pets from getting squashed by the closing door. Once the beams detect an obstacle, it will stop from closing. Thus, it ensures superior safety.
|Up to 7 ft. high and up to 550 lb.||Belt||3/4 HP||100-watts|
This powerful door opener can open all kinds of garage doors but what’s important mentioning here is that you will want to buy an 8 or 10-foot extension kit if you have very tall doors that are more than 7 feet tall. This specific model is compatible with the MyQ automation system, which consists of a receiver and transmitter that control mainly your garage door and lighting, but keep in mind that you have to buy the MyQ system separately. Once you have purchased the MyQ automation system, you use the included remote control to control the switches, lighting and so on. With this smart system, you will never find yourself in a dark place because this model features two 100-watt lights that are connected to a switch. Furthermore, the control panel has a motion-detection light sensor to ensure that when you get close to the infrared beam, the light will immediately come on.
- One of the most silent systems on the market
- You can set it to automatically close after several minutes
- Great safety features like the motion activated lights, the rolling code system and the infrared beam
- Comes with a battery backup feature
- Requires little maintenance and you can perform the installation by yourself
The specifications and details for the installation are rather unclear
A little bit slower and louder than other models
It doesn’t work with a keyless entry pad
Well-made and packed with pretty much all the features you need. It can handle heavy doors and it eliminates the hassle of high-maintenance. Extremely quiet and compact. It is easy to use and comes with 2 remote controls and a keyless entry pad. In our opinion this is one of the most versatile and advanced system you can buy at this moment.
Top 5 Products Comparison
|1. Chamberlain B750||2.SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001||3. LiftMaster 8550W||4. Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power||5. Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower|
|Best Overall||Our Choice|
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Weight||36.9 pounds||40.1 lbs||N/A||32 lbs||38.1 pounds|
|Size||27.2 x 9.7 x 13.1 inches||42 x 10 x 6.5 inches||N/A||26.1 x 12.1 x 9 inches||41 x 11.3 x 7.7 inches|
|Horse Power||3/4 Horsepower||3/4 Horsepower||3/4 Horsepower||3/4 Horsepower||1/2 Horsepower|
|Door Height||7 ft||7 ft||7 ft||7 ft||7 ft|
|Door Height Extension Kit Available|
|Lifting Capacity||550 lbs||550 lbs||550 lbs||N/A||350 lbs|
|Lighting||2×100 Watts||2×60 Watts||2×100 Watts||2×100 Watts||1×75 Watts|
|Keyless Entry Pad|
|Safety Beam Sensor|
|Compatibility||HomeLink, MyQ Technology||HomeLink||HomeLink, MyQ Technology||HomeLink||HomeLink, Car2U|
|Soft Start and Stop Technology|
|Warranty||Lifetime Warranty on Motor and Lift System; 5-Year Warranty on Parts||Lifetime Warranty on Motor, Lift System and Parts||Lifetime Warranty on Motor and Lift System; 5-Year Warranty on Parts; 1-Year Warranty on Battery||Lifetime Warranty on Motor||5-Year Warranty on Motor; 1-Year Warranty on Parts|
The Advantages of Using One
It Protects Your Garage – One of the main advantages is the fact that it protects your garage. This is also among the most common reasons why people opt for this system. We all have valuable things that we store in our garage, so it’s an act of responsibility to make sure that our personal values are well protected.
Convenient – Due to the latest innovations used in this industry, a door opener for your garage will simplify your life more than you think. The various features available will allow you to operate the door using a remote control, to program the system for automatically closing the door after a certain time, or to connect your car to your system in order to operate it. All these conveniences are very helpful and they surely are a big advantage when looking for a great product.
Safe – The latest models on the market are very safe to use for the entire family and they are designed to keep you away from any accidents or injuries. Due to the infrared beam sensor, these systems are able to detect if there’s someone or something on the path, making them to automatically stop and avoid any unpleasant incidents. Therefore, you don’t need to worry anymore about the safety of your kids and family.
Easy to Maintain – This is a strong construction that is meant to last for a long period of time. For this reason, it doesn’t require too much money for all sorts of little repairs that may occur in time. At the same time, most models are covered by a very generous warranty, so in case the product comes with a manufacturing defect, it will be repaired or replaced by the company.
– You may not think so, but an electric door opener doesn’t consume a significant amount of power. It only operates for 15-20 seconds to open or close the door and this happens only several times per day. Also, you should know that when the system is not used, it consumes little power, thus being totally safe for the environment.
Top 3 Brands You Can Trust
1. Chamberlain Group
The Chamberlain Group products are designed to offer safe and stable home control products and they are among the best in this industry. Besides the fact that the company manufactures and sells cost-efficient products, it also uses some of the most innovative systems that are meant to simplify the lives of all those who want to feel safe in their own homes. Their brands of openers, Chamberlain and LiftMaster, are very popular and efficient, being delivered all over the world. Chamberlain is the brand used for selling residential door openers that are designed for do-it-yourself installation, while the LiftMaster brand is known for both residential and commercial door operators that are professionally installed by specialists.
Sommer has been already a well-known brand that is present in more than 90 countries worldwide. The company is located in Europe, but they offer full customer support to all their clients, making sure that all their products are the best choice for their customers. Besides openers, the company is also manufacturing wireless control systems and their high-quality products are always on top due to the fact that they use the latest technology in this industry. Furthermore, all their openers are manufactured in Germany and they all comply with the highest standards.
There are many reasons why the Decko Products company has been present in this industry since 1932. Besides the fact that they invest time and high-quality materials in their products, they provide outstanding services for people all over the world. The company is among the most reliable ones, the proof being the fact that they always stand behind their products and offer support to all their clients.
Quick Buying Guide
There are many aspects to consider when selecting the best garage door openers and this is why here below we will present you which are the most important ones and why they are always worth considering when it comes to differentiating the many models.
|Criteria||Description||Model to Go With|
|Drive System||The drive system is highly important when it comes to such systems because it ensures that the door opens appropriately, without any inconveniences. Our products use either chain or belt drive systems and we can say that both of them offer high-performance because they are very similar. The main difference between them is the noise level and since the chain drives use a metal chain along with a metal trolley, they are much noisier. On the other hand, the chain drives are less expensive and very popular among those who want a reliable garage door opener. The belt drives may be a little more expensive, but they are less noisy, making them a perfect solution for those who want to avoid disturbing their neighbors||Chamberlain WD962KEV, SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001,LiftMaster 8550W|
|Horsepower||The horsepower of an opener represents its capacity to lift the garage door. In general, the 1/2 HP is adequate for most garage doors that weigh up to 350 lbs, while the 3/4-horsepower motor is designed for heavier doors, such as solid wood or metal doors that weight up to 500 lbs.||Chamberlain B750 and Decko 24300 3/4 Horse Power LiftMaster 8500|
|Safety Beam Sensor||One of the most common types of sensors used for garage door openers is the infrared beam sensor that comes in two pieces and it’s installed on each side of the door. The result is that every time the beam is crossed by a moving person or object, the opening process stops immediately and automatically reverses in order to avoid any injuries. This feature is very important when it comes to the safety of the entire family.||SOMMER Direct Drive 1042V001LiftMaster 8550W , Genie 1022-TH 1/2-Horsepower|
|Rolling Code||The rolling code is an important security feature that will stop the intruders breaking your garage. Therefore, every time you use the remote to open or close the door the system sends a different code so the chances to record the code are almost impossible.||Genie QuietLift Connect, Skylink ATOMS AT-1622BK, Chamberlain B750|
How To Install A Garage Door Opener
This product will offer a great home if you want to automate your home. However, you must ensure that you install it properly so you can use it to its best ability. Furthermore, without proper installation, the safety sensors may not work which means that you’re putting your family and pets in danger.
Regardless, the majority of the models mentioned will provide you with all of the installation tools so you don’t have to invest further. It also means that you can install the products by yourself.
To find out how to properly install such a product, you should take a look at the following steps:
Step 1 – Begin by putting the pieces together. First, take care of the rail and fit the several pieces into place so they’re attached together. Then, slide the carriage over the rail. This important piece will move along the rail to pull it open.
Attach the rail to the motor. As it’s the largest piece, it’s positioned furthest from the garage door. Then, install the pulley at the end of the rail. Feed the belt or chain through to the end of the rail, around the pulley, then around to the motor. Watch out for the belt or chain as it has a screw attached to it. This screw will allow you to adjust the tension.
Step 2 – If you need to mount it on the ceiling, ensure that you have blocking on the ceiling. It doesn’t matter how wide or thick the block is. All that you need to make sure of is that you are attaching the block to the joists in the ceiling.
Step 3 – Look out for the point of connection to the garage door and attach the included bracket to the door itself. The distance from the top of the garage door should be mentioned in the user manual. In most cases, the bracket is attached to the center of the door.
Attach the bracket to the wall above the door and then insert the end of the assembly into it. Connect the bracket and the end of the assembly as it’s written in the user manual.
Step 4 – Assemble the unit high enough so that tall people don’t bump their heads into it. In general, it should be up to 7 ft. high off the floor as possible. Attach the emergency release to manually disconnect the garage door. It should be up to a comfortable height so you can reach it in case of an emergency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best overall: Chamberlain B750
We must give a special mention to Chamberlain WD962KEV due to the fact that it’s not only safe but also one of the most efficient on the market. This model has been designed with numerous safety features that make it nearly impossible for it to be hacked.
In addition to this, it also keeps children and pets safe as it will automatically roll back if the light beam will sense anything in its way. As well as, this comes with a lifetime warranty so in case you’re no longer happy with the quality of it, the company will cover the reparation costs or exchange it with a new unit.
Best for noise: Genie SilentMax 1200
If your bedroom or living space is above the garage, you should consider Genie SilentMax 1200 because it’s one of the most silent models that you can find. The ultra-quiet operation makes it the ideal choice for those that have garages attached to their living space.
Even though it has a reinforced steel belt drive system, the unit will ensure that it makes minimal noise while lifting the door fast.
Best quality-price: Chamberlain B550
The reason for this is because this unit has a high lifting force through the 1/2 HP force so you can enter the garage within 2 minutes. In addition to this, it also comes with a useful app where you can see updates right on your smartphone.
As well as, the app will also offer you real-time updates. Furthermore, numerous customers all over the world have praised this model because it’s impossible to break through or to bypass the system. Hence, you will feel safe and secure after installing it.