Hours of Research
Consumer Reviews Analyzed
Y ou have installed powerful locks and made sure that your house is well secured against burglars, but did you check the garage? This is usually a weak point, and intruders consider it first, as most of the garages don’t have sophisticated security systems. It’s time to take this measure into your own hands and either replace your old door opener or install one from scratch. And, since we are at this chapter, we would like to introduce you to one of our favorites, the industrial-grade chain-driven Chamberlain Group PD220. We performed a thorough analysis of its functions and, rest assured, we haven’t overlooked its drawbacks. So keep reading to get more info on its design, main features, and convenience.
Like most door openers, it comes with an adaptor that transforms household AC power into DC power. Thus, the motor runs at the same capacity but consumes less power. Although the mechanism is based on a chain and, thus, louder than a belt or screw model, it makes less noise than its chain-driven competitors. Therefore, it will not disturb your family or your neighbors each time you open or close the garage. Unless you have a room on top of it. In this case, its sound can be an inconvenience. Nevertheless, take into account the fact that other devices of this type can be even louder. Therefore, this is without a doubt a huge advantage. Some of its particularities are:
- Power – 1/2-HP motors are best suited for standard aluminum sectional doors used on most new homes and those ones that were built from 1990 until today
- Versatile – This innovative unit has been specifically designed for 7 ft. sectional doors, and once it is installed it will allow for more headroom in the garage especially with Minivans or SUV’s
- HomeLink Compatible – It is HomeLink Compatible. The Compatible Bridge is not included, but it is absolutely necessary for certain vehicles
- Housing – It has a polycarbonate housing and polypropylene light lens, which means it is very strong, durable, and light as well
|Garage door type compatibility||7’ H|
|Warranty||6 years for motor, 1 year for parts and accessories|
|Check Price at Amazon|
Safety and Security Features
For safety, the Protector System uses IR safety sensors in order to prevent operation in case an object is detected in its path. There is no automatic reverse on the door to bring it to the open position whenever it encounters an obstacle but it will still prevent any sort of accidents.
- Interference – It comes with a single 60W lighting tri-band frequency radios and a remote for an excellent range, greater performance, and less interference
- Energy-efficient – When the door is fully closed, the garage opener will go into the sleep mode, which helps when it comes to energy conservation
- Housing – The thick polycarbonate housing will ensure superior longevity as it won’t lose quality over the years regardless of the humidity in the room
This device has one 60 W of lighting compatible with LED and CFL bulbs, one button visor remotes with tri-band frequency, and an easy-to-install doorbell wall control. The package includes:
- Remote control – Due to the fact that the device has a single remote for multiple uses, it will actually decrease the clutter caused by multiple remotes
- Doorbell – It also includes a doorbell wall control that comes in handy whenever you want someone to open the garage door for you
- Mounting brackets – This model comes with 2 15” mounting brackets for the motor. Thus, you don’t have to invest further
Warranty and Support
The manufacturer provides a 6-year motor warranty and a 1-year warranty for the parts, the chain, and the accessories. Feel free to contact the Customer Service Department in case you need further information about this product. All the necessary contact details are available on the manufacturer’s website. After analyzing the specs and features of this model, we were able to decide how effective and reliable it is, compared to other models we have reviewed. Our conclusion was that it’s a very good product that manages to improve the security of your home with the help of a very smart technology that locks the door for you. Although it doesn’t include all the features more expensive models do, it is an affordable garage opener that can constitute a great home improvement.